Ageless game finds new home

“Looking for a way to take a break from the work load? Wish you could find a way to relax and have fun during the week? There’s a new, up-and-coming unofficial club for you: the hide-n-go-seek club. Nothing brings back old childhood memories like a game of hide-n-go-seek.”

Looking for a way to take a break from the work load? Wish you could find a way to relax and have fun during the week? There’s a new, up-and-coming unofficial club for you: the hide-n-go-seek club.

Nothing brings back old childhood memories like a game of hide-n-go-seek. Many students have not been able to enjoy the simple pleasures of this childhood game due to of the unwritten age limit attached to it. But not anymore.

Every Wednesday around 9:30 p.m., a group of students gather to play a massive game of hide-n-go-seek in the middle of campus. Freshmen’s Matt Hoff and Drew Wenmuth created this unofficial club that has been gaining many students’ attention.

Hoff said the duo formed the club to help break up the school week and get their minds off of school.

Hide-n-go-seek was one of everyone’s favorite games growing up and it would also allow us to get outside and run around, Hoff said.

Drew said the group gained followers by word of mouth and by promoting it during classes.

We even have picked up some people off the campus while we were playing, Drew said. We’ve just been trying to get as many people as possible to make for a better game.

The rules of the game are as follows. Home base for the game is the clock in front of the Student Union and also serves as the group’s meeting place. The object is for the seekers to tag the hiders before they can reach home base from their hiding spots. Depending on the number of people playing determine the number of seekers.

The boundaries restrict players to stay within the Student Union, Leigh Hall and the steps next to Crouse. Going inside any building is strictly prohibited. The players that make it back to the base without getting tagged are not seekers next round.

Hoff said the University of Akron had no qualms about letting the group roam around the area.

Campus patrol has been very cool about the whole thing, Hoff said. Before we get started we explain the boundaries and ask every one to not do anything stupid that could ruin the game for everyone else. We haven’t had any problems with destruction of school property and we know the campus patrol appreciates that. We even invited them to come and play.

Hoff said that anyone who is interested in joining the game should meet at the clock at 9:30 p.m. on Wednesday nights. The other stipulation is to wear a white shirt to distinguish players from non-players.

It also lets others like Campus Patrol know who’s playing too. Once people thought we were mugging someone. After that night, we decided to allow us to be identified.

Drew said that they are in the process of becoming an official club and that someone was planning on presenting the idea to Associated Student Government.

We hope we can become official but even if we don’t were still going to play, Drew said.

Hoff finished by saying: Everyone is welcome to come and play, everyone has a blast, and we hope to see more and more people every week.

” #1.1361036:2364511524.jpg:20080424_hideseek_JH.jpg:Students gather outside the Student Union and choose who will hide and who will seek.:”