Zips offense looking to light up the scoreboard

By Terry Rabbitts, Sports Editor

Great offensive teams need consistency to go along with talent.

Last year, UA’s football team had the talent to be competitive, as evident with the 4-2 record and winning the first two games in MAC play.

Then the injuries began to pile up, and all the consistency went out the window—as did the Zips’ record, as they lost five of their last six games.

With most of the pieces from last year’s squad still intact, and those missing pieces being filled by more talent, this year’s offense has high prospects.

At the quarterback position is transfer Tra’von Chapman, who can give Zips fans a glimpse into their future: Chapman last played nine games in the fall of 2013 and completed 90 of 173 attempts for 1,154 yards and 9 touchdowns. Chapman is can also run the ball.

Splitting time with Chapman this year could be Kyle Pohl, who returns for his senior season. Pohl threw for 2,189 yards in 10 games last year. He completed 54 percent of his passes and connected on 9 touchdowns. He also rushed for another touchdown.

In the backfield, Connor Hundley returns for his senior year. Last season Hundley finished as the team’s second leading rusher with 540 yards for an average of 5.2 yards a carry, and 4 touchdowns.

Joining Hundley in the backfield is Colorado State transfer, Donnell Alexander. As a sophomore in 2013, Alexander played in 11 games, rushed for 428 yards on 71 carries—a six-yard average. He is also a threat to catch the ball in the flat or across the middle. Hakeem Lawrence might see some time in the backfield.

Wide receiver is the area that has the most change. Gone are the top two pass catchers from last year. Jerome Lane makes the switch from linebacker to receiver this season and at 6 foot 3 inches, gives either signal caller a big target to throw to.

Austin Wolf, Mykel Traylor-Bennett, Imani Davis, Andrew Pratt, Michael Means, Newman Williams, and Fransohn Bickley will all have the chance to step up and be a part of the offense.

As for the offensive line, Tommy Brown, Isaiah Williams, Dylan Brumbaugh, Andrew Bohan, Quaison Osborne all have experience, but must bond together quickly to be a force on offense.