The Black Angels channel the '60s with 'Directions To See a Ghost'

“Maybe you’ve never heard of them, because I certainly hadn’t until I stumbled upon The Black Angels on Best Buy’s New CD Release List. It was something of fate because not only does their free-spirited, 60s vibe intrigues me, but their album, Directions To See a Ghost, was so good that I felt the need to share it with the public.”

Maybe you’ve never heard of them, because I certainly hadn’t until I stumbled upon The Black Angels on Best Buy’s New CD Release List.

It was something of fate because not only does their free-spirited, 60s vibe intrigues me, but their album, Directions To See a Ghost, was so good that I felt the need to share it with the public.

You On The Run, which is the albums first track, gives you the illusion that you’re in the middle of Woodstock ’69 with a blue peace sign painted on your cheek.

In fact, every track to The Black Angels sixth album makes you feel like you’re on an acid trip that lasts 52 carefree minutes, all with no side effects.

Who can complain?

Maybe it’s just me, but their psychadelic sounding song Doves, does nothing but make you want to sway your head around and daze out into your own little world.

This six-man band, with the addition of one girl, creates music that not only gives you a sense of spirituality but can put you at ease.

So when you’re studying for finals and completely stressed out, take a listen to Directions To See a Ghost and melt into a couch; you’ll feel the pressure lifting off your shoulders with every tribal drumbeat and droned out word sung.

I find it hard to believe that Jim Morrison wasn’t in the recording studio in spirit when The Black Angels recorded their single, Deer-Ree-Shee.

This song opens and closes with a mixture of instruments that soothes the senses and vocals that seem hazy and slightly chanted.

It’s a wonder that these guys aren’t from the 60s and have never been the opening act for The Doors.

Their song, Vikings, reflects how it sounds.

It’s not hard to imagine a bunch of vikings boating to the beat of the drums that go on for about the first 40 seconds of this song.

The most modern-day sounding song off this album would have to be 18 Year.

Even though it of course still has hippie vibes, the background music won’t make you feel like smoking out of a hookah.

The overall talent from this group from Austin, Texas, is not only astounding, but it impresses me that music such as this can still be successfully made.

These long haired, hippie looking boys and girl are currently touring throughout the U.K. and then are making their stops in America, including a tour date in our very own Cleveland, Ohio, on June 25.

So take all the change you’ve collected over the semester, find a CoinStar, and then buy The Black Angels Directions To See a Ghost or hike up to Cleveland and see a show that I’m sure will be one of a kind.

It’s no doubt that this is an album you can easily add to a road trip collection.