Book drive brightens students’ lives

Book Drive: Sarah Dhinojwala-Junior on the right Yamini Yamini-Junior on the left Ally Vidika- Senior in the middle

By Samantha Hickey, News Editor

In coordination with UA’s Social Justice week, Bright Star Books Inc. is holding a week-long book drive that will wrap up tomorrow, Friday, Sept. 25.

Donations are being accepted at the Center for Service and Leadership, located on the first floor of the Student Union.

Christin Seher, an instructor in the School of Nutrition and Dietetics and the co-founder of Bright Star Books Inc., said, “We take almost everything that is considered a children’s book, but our greatest need is books that are appropriate for [ages] 0-5.”

Even though Social Justice Week will end on Friday, Bright Star Books Inc. welcomes donations at all times.

“Most of the [used] books that we get go to limited-resource families that are enrolled in Summit County’s WIC (Women Infants and Children) program. We’re giving out right now through the Summit League and Barberton Clinics, but we’re looking to expand in a month or two, to another one of their clinics,” Seher said.

According to the co-founder, Bright Star Books Inc. is currently serving more than 1,000 children and plans to serve at least another 1,000 by the end of 2015.

At the end of 2014, Bright Star Books Inc. had accumulated over 5,000 books, bringing its total collection to more than 30,000.

“Bright Star Books Inc. works with kindergarten readiness in the county, and a lot of the research will show that limited-resource families don’t have books of their own,” Seher said.

Seher said the organization was started by an interaction with her husband and son.

“My husband and I were reading with our son, who was three at the time in our library and we said, ‘Not all little boys and girls have access to books like you do. They can’t read at home with their mommies and daddies,’ and he stopped and looked up at us and said ‘Well then we have to give them some,’” Seher said.

Seher and her husband are currently running Bright Star Books Inc. out of their basement and have bag-packing “parties” in their driveway. They hope to find a space to dedicate to the organization soon.

If students or faculty want to donate books, they can contact Bright Star Books Inc. through the Contact Us link on its website, brightstarbooks.org.

Seher said she would also be willing to meet up with donors on campus or visit one of Bright Star’s six permanent donation sites throughout Summit County, listed on its website as well.

Bright Star Books Inc. is always looking for volunteers; opportunities can be found on volunteermatch.org and on Bright Star’s Facebook page.