Some advice for freshmen

By Brittany Gregg, Opinion Editor

As we transition into yet another school year, the editorial staff of The Buchtelite would like to introduce ourselves and offer our sincere advice to first-year students. We hope to give insight on who makes this paper possible, and we wish everyone a successful fall semester.

______________________________________________________________________________

Zaina Salem

Editor-In-Chief

[email protected]

Senior  | Dual major in News Journalism & Public Relations

Dream Job: A career as a reporter or a PR specialist

Fun Fact: I can fluently write and read in Arabic.

My one piece of advice for freshman is to never underestimate the importance of relationships. Whether it’s a friend, a fellow peer, or a professor, anyone you meet can teach you something new. Don’t miss any opportunities to meet new people who are interested in the same things you are. By joining activities or clubs related to your major, you will build friendships that will last a lifetime. Your professors aren’t solely there to lecture a class and grade your homework; they actually want to see you succeed. I know many professors are open to grabbing coffee and discussing anything you would like.

Keep in touch with professionals, for they are your one-way ticket to the real world. Even opening yourself up to people who you wouldn’t normally talk to can lead to something great. Learning and growing from each other is what college is all about, so take advantage of your time here.

Grant Morgan

Managing Editor

[email protected]

Sophomore | Philosophy, Political Science & Economics

Dream Job: Not certain yet

Fun Fact: I can write calligraphy.

Many students come to college with an undeveloped conception of why they are actually in college; they’ve been told it’s for making money, for finding a good job, or maybe even for getting a good education.

Yet one would be hard-pressed to find anyone who has definitive idea of what a “good education” consists of—and solely to get a job and make money is certainly not it. So what does the educated student look like? The question is truly difficult, especially when students are constantly given other banal answers like “to expand horizons,” “to make a difference,” or “to become successful”—words that sound nice but carry little meaning. And when college costs so much, both in time and money, students should not be content with being told any of that.

Higher education has a purpose, a purpose that is far greater than what we are usually told and that is deeply entrenched in the progression of society. It gives the ideal to strive toward and the mental capacity to strive. But when your university doesn’t tell you such things, you might have to find them out on your own.

That’s why it’s important to read books about education. Two books have helped me immensely: “Excellent Sheep: The Miseducation of the American Elite” by William Deresiewicz and “The Closing of the American Mind” by Allan Bloom. It’s also helpful to read classic works on educational philosophy or philosophy itself— and not just as historical works of significance, but as pertinent, detailed opinions of an immortal author who foresaw the day when young students would question themselves and look for guidance.

Some helpful works include Plato’s The Republic, Rousseau’s Emile: or On Education, Descartes’ Discourse on Method, or Locke’s Some Thoughts Concerning Education. Education’s goal might even be to give a student knowledge; but without knowledge of their education, will students learn?

Logan Lane

Copy Editor

[email protected]

Sophomore | English

Dream Job: Novelist

Fun Fact: I can speak French!

My advice for incoming freshmen is to choose a class that you enjoy. If you’re an engineering major with a hidden passion for writing, go take a poetry course. If you’re a biology major who enjoys hiking, take one in outdoor education. The University offers everything from archery to astronomy. In addition to that, there are over 300 clubs and organisations. If you have a passion for something but no room on your schedule, then just visit the student organization page on the University’s website. There’s sure to be a club somewhere out there to indulge your interest. Not only will your year go by much more smoothly with a class or club to look forward to, but you’ll discover new people with whom to share your interests.

Samantha Hickey

News Editor

[email protected]

Junior | Public Relations & Media Production

Dream Job: Being a PR/Media Relations person for the Cleveland Cavaliers

Fun Fact: I was born in England!

The best advice I could give to incoming students would be to form a relationship with your instructors and don’t be afraid to approach them. I believe it is extremely important to feel comfortable contacting your instructor and asking them for help, whether it’s through their office hours, email, or in person. The more comfortable you feel in class and with your instructor, the more likely you will be able to comprehend and achieve this semester.

Sofia Syed

Arts & Life Editor

[email protected]

Senior | Public Relations

Dream Job: I want to be a creative director for a company

Fun Fact: I drink a lot of coffee, don’t sleep a lot, make and sell dream catchers for fun!

My advice to freshman, and to any college student really, is to find a balance. School work can creep up on you fast, and if you’re trying to add a job and a social life into the mix, you may start to feel overwhelmed. I definitely think one should try and make the most out of their college experience, and the best way that can be achieved is through a balanced system. Make time for your friends and going out, but maybe make it a personal rule that you finish that assignment before heading out for the night. In the end, you won’t feel stressed in the morning, and you can enjoy yourself without over-worrying. Balancing school, work, and a personal life may seem like a lot, but if you organize your time, you can do anything. Best of luck to those just starting at The University of Akron, and good luck to those who are soon to graduate!

Brittany Gregg

Opinion Editor

[email protected]

Senior | Public Relations & Marketing

Dream Job: I want to work for the Professional Golf Association

Fun Fact: I am a Cleveland enthusiast, I love anything and everything Cleveland! Born and raised.

My best advice to freshman and other rising students would be to never undervalue the benefits of networking and seeking further experience. Students so often forget the value they can get from attending networking events, career fairs, and even campus organization meetings and events. You never know what you could learn new and in doing so, who you could meet that may have similar interests or backgrounds. This could then lead to a new connection and endless job opportunities. Often as a student, you get lost within the books and, trying to get involved, you forget how important gaining experience is. So whenever you hear about local companies on campus, a guest speaker who is here to speak about topics that interest you, or a career fair on the rise, take this opportunity to get out there and market yourself. As time passes, you will be more comfortable with meeting new people and this will ease your transition from undergrad to the real world before you know it— especially as you seek summer opportunities and fill graduation requirements for internships and co-ops through your school.

Terry Rabbitts

Sports Editor

[email protected]

Senior | Communications in Radio and Television

Dream Job: I want to have my own sports radio show

Fun Fact: I was able to cover the 2013 Football Hall of Fame Festivities and was able to meet close to 100 players!

There are so many opportunities here on campus to participate in various activities that you should be taking advantage of it. Whether it’s something that might help you with your major or something you would like to do for fun, do it! Not only will you be a part of something special, but you will also get a chance to meet people you might not normally meet. I am lucky to be a part of three different media outlets that will give me the experience that will help me locate a job. I am also having fun doing it and meeting many people that could help with networking in the future. Networking is going to be so important for just about any major. Have fun and good luck!