MADD brings more than 800 volunteers

Israa Eddeb

Students donate their time to volunteer for local organizations.

By Baylee Deidrich, Writer

Over the weekend, The University of Akron held its 11th annual Make a Difference Day. More than 800 students participated with 40 nonprofit organizations at 50 different sites.

Make a Difference Day is a service day that takes place all across the country. Since UA has one of the largest numbers of student participants, the University has been nationally recognized.

The organizers gave volunteers multiple tasks during the event.

Some groups were assigned to make Christmas ornaments for troops overseas, while another group was sent to the Akron-Canton Foodbank to package food. Other students went to parks to help clean up trash along the Akron towpath trail.

Dusty Ball, a junior at UA, helped paint a house in the community since the owners couldn’t do it themselves.

“Make a Difference Day is a good way for us to gain teamwork skills and build relationships in the community,” Ball said.  

Miranda Petrigash, a junior at UA, participated in the day of service by helping out at the Akron Dog Park’s Howl-o-Ween fall festival and fundraiser.

“Being able to help out my fellow furry friends didn’t even feel like community service because I had so much fun volunteering,” Petrigash said.

Groups for Make a Difference Day can be formed through an organization or independently. All UA students are eligible to participate.

Keep an eye out next fall or visit uakron.edu/studentlife/serve/