Students demand free tuition, cancellation of debt

UA students will join nationwide protest planned for Nov. 12

By Samantha Hickey, News Editor

A student-centered day of action will sweep across the United States on Thursday, Nov. 12. Students from The University of Akron plan to join the movement.

Starting at 10 a.m. on Thursday at the James A. Rhodes Arena, the Ohio Student Association will participate in a national event known as the #MillionStudentMarch along with hundreds of other campuses.

High school students, college students, graduate students, recent graduates, campus workers, former students, parents, and grandparents will gather to demand tuition-free public college, cancellation of all student debt, and a $15 minimum wage for all campus workers.

In addition to the three national demands, the march at UA will also demand the resignation or removal of President Scarborough.

According to studentmarch.org, the #MillionStudentMarch is “an independent and decentralized day-of-action led by students in response to the rapidly growing education crisis.”

The Ohio Student Association said they will be participating rain or shine. The association is also encouraging participants to bring their own signs to protest their concerns.

The association is looking for students to speak or perform through poetry, rapping, music, dancing, singing or whatever drives them about their experience with student debt for after the march.

“There are so many creative, diverse students on our campus and we want to show their talents and also how it relates to their experience of trying to get their degree,” OSA wrote in an email.

Students interested in participating or supporting the march can join OSA’s Facebook event titled “UofA Million Student March.”