Zips get home win

“The University of Akron men’s and women’s track and field teams dominated the field over the weekend, winning a combined 24 of 38 events as each claimed victory over Ashland, Kent State and Youngstown State at the Northeast Ohio Quad at Lee Jackson Field. The Akron Women’s squad scored 240 points, followed by Ashland (157), Kent State (151) and Youngstown (56).”

The University of Akron men’s and women’s track and field teams dominated the field over the weekend, winning a combined 24 of 38 events as each claimed victory over Ashland, Kent State and Youngstown State at the Northeast Ohio Quad at Lee Jackson Field.

The Akron Women’s squad scored 240 points, followed by Ashland (157), Kent State (151) and Youngstown (56). On the men’s side, Akron won with 197 points, followed by Kent State (175), Ashland (168) and Youngstown State (73).

All but two of the field events were held Friday afternoon. Saturday began with the final two events, with the Zips getting off to a fast start winning three. Stevi Large had a throw of 201-4 (61.34) on her first attempt and the distance held up as the winning effort, beating second place (Ashland’s Michelle Stark 174-9) by nearly 27 feet.

After winning the long jumps Friday, Akron’s Cadeau Kelley and Niesha Kelly completed the sweep by winning the men’s and women’s, respectively, triple jump. Kelley had a leap of 46-11.75 (14.32) on his final attempt to win. Likewise, Kelly saved her best for last, winning with a leap of 37-3 (11.35).

Despite the bad weather, I thought today went well, said UA head coach Dennis Mitchell. I was proud the way we battled tough all day and it is always good to win. We will have an opportunity to compete in another team scored event next weekend, so hopefully we can build on this weekend’s outcome.

The Zips started the running events by winning the women’s and men’s 3,000 meter steeplechase. Olivia Jaworek (11:49.4) held off teammate Ro Rupe (2:14.5) to win the women’s steeplechase, while Andy Morgan (9:39.1) defeated Ashland’s Derek Daughters (10:07.1).

The Zips continued its Saturday dominance by sweeping the women’s and men’s 4×100 meter relays then taking the top three spots (Carol Erckerly, Cassie Schenck and Sediah Erskine) in the 1500 meters.

UA didn’t win the next two events, but rallied to capture three of the top four finishers in the men’s 110-meter hurdles, including winner Zach Harper (14.86), third-place K.C. LaCross (15.89) and fourth-place Mike Wagner (16.44). The women’s team followed by taking the top three spots in the 400 meters, including Brittany Hocker (57.46), Larisa Arcip (60.35) and Jen Osborn (60.54).

Ashley Kaltwasser won the 400 hurdles with a time of 1:04.15, the third-best time in UA history.

The Zips will return to action next weekend (April 18-19) at the All-Ohio Championships in Cincinnati.

” #1.1361064:358949493.jpg:CadeauKelleyatAllOhio2007.jpg:Cadeau Kelley won three jumping events Saturday for the Zips.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”