Counseling can offer more than you think

“Imagine feeling more confident in reaching your personal goals. Envision yourself healthfully working through a personal difficulty with the help of a caring individual. Visualize, as a couple, seeking guidance from an individual who understands the difficulties that couples may face.”

Imagine feeling more confident in reaching your personal goals. Envision yourself healthfully working through a personal difficulty with the help of a caring individual. Visualize, as a couple, seeking guidance from an individual who understands the difficulties that couples may face. Foresee talking with someone who accepts and is knowledgeable about career and educational pressures and goals. Perhaps you know of someone in your life that may benefit from a thoughtful referral to an affordable and reputable counseling entity. This is possible for us all right now through the experience of counseling.

Counseling is a method of working proactively to enhance the lives of individuals, couples, families, groups and communities. The American Counseling Association states that professional counseling contributes to the growth and development of people across the life span and assists them in achieving their full human potential. The American Counseling Association and the Department of Counseling at the University of Akron recognize April as Counseling Awareness Month. Accordingly, this is an opportune time to promote a greater understanding of the counseling profession and the benefit of counseling within the UA student body and the community of the Greater Akron area. The American Counseling Association states that counselors are a vital member of the cadre of professional human service providers working alongside psychologists, psychiatrists, social workers, and other helping professionals. More than 600,000 professional counselors are working in educational (schools and colleges), mental health, community agency, private practice and related human service settings across the nation.

While societal need and acceptance of the counseling profession is growing, it still may be possible that some individuals feel shame or hesitation in seeking professional help. Counselors understand this struggle and honor and appreciate the client’s bravery in seeking help. On the college campus, it may be more socially acceptable to cope with stress in potentially unhealthy and ineffective ways. It may also be likely that one may feel stigmatized, negatively perceived or labeled for choosing professional help. Yet, counseling can be beneficial for all individuals, regardless of the severity of problem. As progressive individuals involved with a stellar university, let us embrace, appreciate, and celebrate each others’ rights to seek help in order to cope with life, heal and grow.

One place that Akron area residents can easily take advantage of counseling’s benefits is the College of Education’s Clinic for Individual and Family Counseling. The clinic takes a human growth and development perspective, meaning that appointments can be made for anything from career development to emotional difficulties to personal exploration and understanding. This state-of-the-art facility has recently relocated to its new location on 27 South Forge Street, adjacent to the Ballet Center, on the same street as the Martin Center. Check out the newly updated Web site at: www.uakron.edu/clinics/ifc. Fees may be adjusted or waived, and clients will not be denied services because of an inability to pay fees. According to the Web site, Clinic services include, but are not limited to:

* Communication and relationship improvement

* Pre-marital and couples counseling

* Family development and parenting skills

* Career exploration and planning

* Academic improvement for children/adolescents

* Resolution of grief/los

* Anger management

* Stress reduction and relaxation

* LGBT and lifestyle empowerment and advocacy

* Self-esteem and self-confidence building

* Personal understanding and growth

Please call to set up an appointment or inquire further by calling (330) 972-6822.