Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds release 'Dig Lazarus Dig!!'

“Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds released Dig, Lazarus Dig!!, their 14th studio album, in the U.S. on April 8. One listen and you’ll hear the effect that the Bad Seeds’ side-project, Grinderman, has had on their music. Grinderman really shook things up for the Bad Seeds, but Cave feels good about the change.”

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds released Dig, Lazarus Dig!!, their 14th studio album, in the U.S. on April 8.

One listen and you’ll hear the effect that the Bad Seeds’ side-project, Grinderman, has had on their music.

Grinderman really shook things up for the Bad Seeds, but Cave feels good about the change.

As he wrote in Jesus on the Moon, I’m more afraid of things staying the same ’cause the game is never won by standing in any one place for too long.

Nick Cave’s driving songs are a chaotic mix of sounds.

The heavy base ties together the garage sound of previous works with his new, more traditional rock tone.

His use of a unique set of sounds ranging from hypnotic chants, hints of mandolin, viola, flute, organ and distorted guitar noise are a big contrast to his steady supply of two- or three-note riffs that characterize the album.

Contrast also shows itself in the disparity between the pleasant music and Cave’s wild rants.

In an interview with Marc Masters of Pitchfork Media, Cave said, in some ways it’s quite a dark record, but the music is kind of playful and joyful.

The darkness is hidden in there somewhere. Cave’s unrestricted outpourings focus on his favorite themes of sex, religion and disgust.

Despite its heaviness, Nick Cave still manages to sneak humor into Dig, Lazarus Dig!!

There’s Albert who goes west and has a psychotic episode on a dude ranch that involved a bottle of ammonia or Cave himself who feels like a vacuum cleaner, a complete sucker.

The wanderings of resurrected Larry throughout New York and Los Angeles in the title track also have a dark sense of humor.

Nick Cave modernizes the story of Lazarus’ resurrection, and considers how he felt about his situation. Larry was never asked to be raised from the tomb and ended up in a soup queue, a dopefiend, a slave, then prison, then the madhouse, then the grave.

The album’s final song also boasts a wide collection of characters, in a style reminiscent of Bob Dylan’s narrative songs.

More News from Nowhere references Homer and William Morris and brings back Miss Polly from his past.

He sings about Janet with her high-hatting hair full of bedroom feathers and a guy who must be about 100 foot tall and . . . only has one eye along with Betty X and his Nubian princess.

Despite its controversial and at times abrasive lyrics, Dig, Lazarus Dig!! is a success for Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

His blend of the traditional Bad Seeds with new Grinderman sound will appeal to fans old and new.

Although perhaps not his greatest album, Nick Cave has a good job staying innovated and modern with his latest work.