RHPB brings new events to UA campus

By: Alexandra Didato

The Residence Hall Program Board (RHPB) strives to bring entertainment and programming for students at The University of Akron. RHPB is a student organization that sponsors events throughout the year on major weekend events and primarily on Tuesday evenings.

Major Events Chair Tyler Grubb works throughout the summer preparing to make these weekend events a success.

“The major events on campus include sibs/family weekend, hall fest and welcome weekend. As soon as we finish planning these major events, we go right into planning for the next year’s major weekends,” Grubb stated.

RHPB hosts two main series throughout the year. The 9:09 series includes larger shows, hosting acts such as hypnotists, magicians and comedians, and take place in the Student Union Ballroom or at EJ Thomas Hall. The 7:17 series, also known as the Coffee House Series, takes place at the Student Union Starbucks and includes events such as singers/songwriters and slam poets.

RHPB Historian Kristin Tripi highly recommends both series.

Tripi stated that “Going to one of RHPB’s programs is a phenomenal way for students to see what their school can provide for them, as well as getting a chance to hang out with friends in the evening!” 

The plethora of events and series RHPB offers to The University of Akron students is why it is award-winning within the national association for campus activities (NACA), the Association for the Promotion of Campus Activities and Campus Activities Magazine. The University of Akron was named Campus of the Year in 2010 by Campus Activities Magazine

RHPB President Jonathon Morris is especially excited about homecoming events this year.

Morris stated that, “This year homecoming is a week-long event. We’re bringing in comedians Ross Matthews, and George Wallace, who is a University of Akron alumnus. We’ll be doing spirit points throughout the week with student organizations, so it’ll be a much bigger event than years past. We’re also doing reunions to celebrate the 10th year of the Emerging Leaders program, which is pretty exciting!”

Morris says it‘s the love of what he does that makes his job easy and fun.

Morris went on to say, “A lot of people don’t know what all goes on behind the scenes; it takes a lot of work, but having students attend the shows and having an enjoyable experience is what makes all the hard work worth it.”