Sports Recap

By Terry Rabbitts, Writer

Women’s Basketball

The University of Akron women’s basketball team had four of its student-athletes named to the Mid-American Conference All-Academic team. The announcement was made on Wednesday, March 30.

Hannah Plybon, Hannah Scipio, Alli Ball, and Megan Sefcik all qualified for the 2015-2016 season.

To qualify for the team, a student-athlete must have at least a 3.20 cumulative GPA and have participated in at least half of contests in that sport.

Men’s and Women’s Track and Field

The University of Akron track and field teams travel to Austin, Texas, to compete at the Texas Relays this Wednesday through Saturday, March 30 – April 2.

The Texas Relays will be held for the 89th year, drawing more than 7,500 athletes from 32 states and 20 countries. Some of the best high school, collegiate, and professional athletes will compete this weekend in Austin.

Former Zip and reigning World Champion Shawn Barber will compete in the elite division of the pole vault.

Akron has six competitors ranked in the top 25 with performances already this season.

Clayton Murphy has the third-best mark in the 1,500 meters with a time of 3:44.57.

Mike Ohiembor is ninth in triple jump with a mark of 51 feet, 1.5 inches. Terrell McClain is 13th in long jump with a leap of 25 feet, 2 inches. Claudia Garcia Jou is 14th in the high jump with 5 feet, 8.75 inches. Phil Jagers sits in 16th place in discus with a toss of 183 feet, 2 inches; and Daniella Johnson just makes the list at 25th in long jump, 19 feet, 10.75 inches.

Murphy and Ohiembor were named by the Mid-American Conference as the MAC Track and Field Athletes of the Week, the league announced on Tuesday, March 29.

Women’s Tennis

The University of Akron women’s tennis player Ariadna Blinova has earned the Mid-American Conference Women’s Tennis Co-Singles Player of the Week, the league office announced on Tuesday, March 29.

For Blinova, this is the second consecutive week for the honor and her fourth time this season.

“Once again, Ari has shown how focused and determined she is this season by winning MAC Player of the Week honors for the fourth time,” Head Coach Brandon Padgett said. “I am extremely proud of the effort she has displayed, and I know that this will only motivate her even more as the season continues.”

Blinova and the rest of her teammates continue league play this Friday as they travel to face Northern Illinois and then come home to face Western Michigan on Sunday.

Rifle

The University of Akron Rifle Team earned 11 Scholastic All-Americans honors, the Collegiate Rifle Coaches Association announced on March 30.

The 11 members of the Akron rifle squad named as a Scholastic All-American are the most by the Zips in one year.

The recipients of this honor include: Alan Agnew, Alexandra Fedorko, Rebecca Green, Sydney Goldschlag, Julia Hatch, Tim Hopkins, Danielle Makucevich, Kris Mantel, Brent Morgan, Crystal Reynolds, and  Zachary Strohl.