Sports Recap

By Terry Rabbitts, Writer

Men’s Golf

The University of Akron men’s golf team finished with a team score of 294 (+6) on the final day at the Bulls Bay Golf Club to finish the tournament in 14th place this week in Awendaw, South Carolina.

The Zips had earlier rounds of 296 (+8) and 300 (+12) to complete the 54-hole tournament with a team score of 890 (+26).

South Carolina took the top spot in team competition with an 841 (-23) while Charleston came in second with 856 (-8) and Auburn placed third with an 861 (-3).

Elliot Grayson was Akron’s top individual with a total of 221 (+5) which was good enough for 41st place overall. J.B. Williams’ 223 (+7) put him 46th overall and George Baylis’ 224 (+8) allowed him to finish 51st.

This weekend the Zips will travel to Kannapolis, North Carolina and take part in the Cabarrus County Irish Creek Collegiate. The event is played at The Clue at Irish Creek.

Men’s Basketball

Two members of The University of Akron men’s basketball team, Jake Kretzer and Reggie McAdams were named to the Men’s Basketball Academic All-MAC Team honors. The Mid-American Conference announced this on Wednesday, April 6.

To be considered for the Academic All-MAC squad, a student-athlete must maintain a minimum 3.20 cumulative GPA and have participated in at least 50 percent of the contests for that particular sport.