Sports Recap

By Samantha Hickey, Assistant Sports Editor

Men’s Golf

The Zips men’s golf team rounded out its season at the Mid-American Conference Championship at Highland Meadows Golf Club on April 30 with an overall fifth out of ninth place.

Sophomore George Baylis became the first in the Zips golfing program history to receive medalist honors at the MAC Championship, ending the tournament with a total score of 283 (-1) and as a MAC Champion. In addition to his MAC Individual Champion title, Baylis earned spots on the MAC All-Tournament Team and All-MAC First-Team.

The Akron men’s golf team completed the tournament with a total score of 1,184 (+48). Joining Baylis in the top 25 in Sylvania, Ohio were junior Yann Pfeiffer, freshman Elliott Grayson and senior Ryan Harris.

The Kent State Golden Flashes claimed the team championship with a 1,152 (+16).

Softball

The University of Akron’s softball team ended its weekend with an 8-7 win over Miami (Ohio) at Lee R. Jackson Field on Saturday, April 30.

The Zips started the series on April 29 with a 3-2 win over the RedHawks. Junior Savannah Fruin, freshman Lilli Piper, and junior Anna Tarpley split the runs.

The second game did not go as smoothly for the Zips, who suffered a 4-1 loss against Miami. The RedHawks held Akron to four hits. Erin Seiler gave up five hits and four runs.

Rounding out their senior day, McKenzi Rhodes and Seiler walked away with an 8-7 victory in their third match-up and a 2-1 finish in their series with Miami.

The Zips started off in a 0-1 deficit Saturday afternoon, but came back by the sixth inning to claim their first lead and eventually win the game.

Akron will face off with its rivals, the Golden Flashes, this weekend at Kent State University starting on Friday, May 6. The Zips are now 10-8-1 in the Mid-American Conference and 28-21-1 overall.

Tennis

Ending its season on a sour note, the Akron women’s tennis team fell to Buffalo 4-0 on Friday, April 29 at the Mid-American Conference Championships at Miami (Ohio).

Fourth seed Akron slipped behind fifth seed Buffalo in the doubles point, first and second positions and the first, third and fourth singles spots.

Although the Zips lost their chance of becoming MAC champions and earning an automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament, the team finished with a winning record for the first time since 2012-2013. The Zips final record was 5-3 in the MAC and 15-10 overall.

Track and Field

The University of Akron track and field teams had a busy weekend as they collectively made appearances at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, the Ashland Alumni Open and at the Hillsdale College Gina Relays in Hillsdale, Michigan.

In Des Moines, the men’s and women’s teams walked away with two first place finishes and a total of 10 top-20 finishes.

Senior Claudia Garcia Jou clenched a first place victory with a 5 foot, 11.25 inch high jump. Sophomore Terrell McClain earned a first-place position for his 25 foot, 0.25 inch long jump.

Leading the men’s track and field team in Ashland, senior Bobby Mitman gained a first place finish with a throw of 191-11. Senior Zack Shull didn’t follow far behind Mitman with a third place throw of 191-9; also with a third place finish for the women’s team was Megan Dornisch with a mark of 186-5.

While in Michigan, the Zips collected another third-place finish by sophomore Tara Snipes in the women’s 800 meter, while freshman Mackenzie Andrews pulled out a fifth-place finish in the 1,500-meter race.

On Saturday at the Drake Relays, the men’s team cleaned up with two first-place finishes by McClain and junior Clayton Murphy, with an additional four top-15 finishes. The women’s team followed in suit with two top-20 finishes.

The Zips dominated the final day in Ashland with 11 first-place performances.

The Zips will return to action on May 6 at the Lee R. Jackson Track and Field Complex to host the Campbell/Wright Invitational.

Men’s Soccer

Wrapping up its spring exhibition schedule, The University of Akron men’s soccer team surpassed FC Cincinnati on Sunday, May 1 with a 2-0 victory.

With the assistance of sophomore Ezana Kahsay and junior Sam Gainford’s scoring, the Zips attained their sixth win of the spring season.

Ending its spring campaign 6-2-1, the men’s soccer team will now focus on chasing its second national title starting in August.