The University of Akron hosts Women in Culture: The Social Evolution of Women

The University of Akron was host to Women in Culture: The Social Evolution of Women last Thursday in the Student Union ballrooms. Sunandini Chopra, director of diversity for Associated Student Government, put the event together.

The morning kicked off with a presentation on feminism by Paula Maggio. She discussed influential women and the women’s rights movement. One of the main issues discussed was that women did not have equal rights in school.

One of the most memorable parts of the presentation was when Maggio told of an infamous women’s walkout. In 1968, Chicano students in East Los Angeles had a walkout in order to fight against academic prejudice and dire school conditions. In 2006, there was a movie made about this particular event entitled Walkout.

Dr. Githoria, speaking on Kenya, and Sevin Gallo, speaking on the Middle East, led two of the other major presentations.

Other countries discussed were Egypt and India. Audience members were able to ask questions after each presentation to learn more about the progress women have made over time.

Many customs in these other countries are quite like ours, but they are also quite diverse as well.

One of the most controversial topics discussed was female circumcision. This practice still occurs throughout the world, including in the United States. A female is circumcised around the age of nine and later forced into marriage.

Women have come a long way throughout history, but there are still a lot of issues that need to be resolved so that women around the world can be treated as equals of men.

ASG will also be hosting Take Back the Night on April 12 at 7 p.m. in the Student Union ballroom. The event, an internationally held march and demonstration to protest sexual violence, will include speakers, a walk and free food, so bring a friend and learn how to put an end to violence against women on your campus.