The Editorially Independent Student Voice at The University of Akron Since 1889.

BLU Jazz +: Hidden Gem of Akron 11-10-16

47 E Market Street

Enter BLU Jazz + by entering the alley to the right of the sign. The entrance is on top of a small parking lot across from Ely Road Boutique and near Musica.

Michelle DeShon

Michelle DeShon

By Michelle DeShon, Opinion Editor

Think of BLU Jazz + as a fancier version of your usual club hangout with your crew. This club is located in downtown Akron, so it is quite accessible for UA students.

BLU Jazz + is known for its quality live jazz performances in a modern venue setting with “state-of-the-art stage, sound, and lighting.” This venue provides for a relaxing atmosphere with a full-service bar stocked with premium liquors, cocktails, and a wide wine and beer selection. There is a “chef-inspired menu” with entrees and lighter options.

My boyfriend took me here on a surprise date a few months ago. Bars and clubs are usually not my scene, but I was pleasantly surprised when I stepped into BLU Jazz + that night. I tried the margarita pizza which probably wasn’t a personal size pizza, but I made it one.

The music here is not too loud, and you can still have a conversation with those at your table. This club is perfect for a nice evening with your significant other. The dim lighting is sure to make for a romantic evening. The venue also serves as a jazz photography and memorabilia gallery.

Parking options include street parking, parking lots like the one located at the Main Library, and valet parking options.

Upcoming shows

Friday, Nov. 11: Pianists and vocalist Philip Anderson will be joined by Chris Coles on sax, Anthony Taddeo on drums, and Kevin Robert Martinez on bass in what the website calls an “all-star lineup.” Show starts at 8 p.m. and tickets are $15.

Sunday, Nov. 13: Award-winning pianist Guy Mintus of the Guy Mintus Trio is joined by Jordan McBride and Zaire Darden. Show starts at 6 p.m. and tickets are $12.

Thursday, Nov. 17: BLU Jazz + Student All-Star Concert Series presents Kent State University “featuring Northeast Ohio’s top high school and collegiate jazz programs.” Show starts at 7 p.m. and tickets are $15 or free for students with a college ID.

Hours of operation

Wednesday to Saturday: 6 p.m. – 2 a.m.

For more information and showtimes, visit blujazzakron.com.