Auction benefits kids with cancer

“Interested in helping a good cause, going on a date, or just having some fun? If so, you should consider attending the Bachelor Auction held by ZPN. The Zips Programming Network is a programming board for the students at the University of Akron, which tries to program events that offer students education and fun, as well as diverse opportunities, said Adam Myser, Community Outreach Chair for ZPN.”

Interested in helping a good cause, going on a date, or just having some fun? If so, you should consider attending the Bachelor Auction held by ZPN.
The Zips Programming Network is a programming board for the students at the University of Akron, which tries to program events that offer students education and fun, as well as diverse opportunities, said Adam Myser, Community Outreach Chair for ZPN.

The Bachelor Auction will be held on Monday Nov. 3 from 7:00-10:00 p.m. in the Student Union Ballroom.

We will show a video for St. Jude Children Hospital Research, and then we will bring our bachelors on stage and announce who they are, Myser said. We then will bring them off stage and bring them on one by one and sell them off. We are going to try and start the bidding at $5.00 and go up by a dollar each time. Once they have a date they will go down to the game room, which is rented out for them, and they can have a date with free bowling, billiards, pizza and drinks.

All proceeds from the Bachelor Auction will go to St. Jude Children Hospital Research. ZPN chose to donate the money to this group as part of a learning outcome to let students know that they can help be a part of fund raising events by participating in fun events such as The Bachelor Auction.

They also chose to donate the money to this group because Akron has a St. Jude Children Hospital Research Chapter and it is always good to help organizations.

This is the second year that The Bachelor Auction will be held and Myser is hoping that it becomes a tradition. Last year, there were 27 bachelors and 110 guests. They raised $350.00 in what Myser believes was a decent turn out.

Those interested in becoming a bachelor for the cause can pick up a form in The Hub at the front desk. Any male will be eligible to become a bachelor up until Friday, Oct. 31.
There is no cost to get into the event, and, for as little as $5.00, you could have a fun night in the game room.

Bachelors may be purchased with a Zipcard, credit card, or cold hard cash. Although bidding starts at $5.00, things may get heated. Last year’s highest bid was $23.00.

There were two girls that were going back and forth, and it was kind of fun because one guy had his girlfriend there to bid on him and help raise money. There was a little bidding war that was going on because someone else was bidding, and his girlfriend really wanted the date. This was one of two bidding wars going on that was intense, Myser said. A big seller for our bachelors is that all proceeds are going to a good cause and they’re usually pretty good sports about it.

He also believes that bachelors generally sign up for the experience, the chance to meet someone and the opportunity to raise money. Besides the Bachelor Auction, ZPN is also responsible for Sibs Weekend, homecoming, Greek Week, movies at the Student Union, Diversity Week, Finals Week Study Breaks and Haven of Rest workdays.

Although Myser has not heard of any long term relationships developed from last year’s Bachelor Auction, he believes there is always that chance. Myser encourages everyone to come out and support St. Jude’s, by attending The Bachelor Auction.