Anti-Trump protest in Highland Square tonight

+President-elect+Donald+Trump+spoke+during+a+rally+on+the+campaign+trail+at+the+James+A.+Rhode+Arena+at+UA+this+summer.

Kristina Aiad-Toss

President-elect Donald Trump spoke during a rally on the campaign trail at the James A. Rhode Arena at UA this summer.

By Kristina Aiad-Toss, News Editor

Following protests against President-elect Donald Trump in New York, San Francisco, Los Angeles and many other cities throughout the country, one will take place in Akron’s Highland Square tonight at 11 p.m.

According to a Facebook event entitled “Trump Protest, Akron,” protesters will meet in the parking lot behind Chipotle on West Market street and will march toward UA’s campus. The page says the protest will last until 2 a.m., and so far, more than 580 people have indicated that they are going and more than 1,500 are “interested” in going.

The event is planned as a peaceful demonstration opposing statements made by Trump during his campaign, and the violence and verbal attacks on minorities that protest organizers say have occurred following the election, and which have been reported on by TIME magazine, USA Today, and The New York Times.

According to a CNN article, anti-Trump protesters appear to be focusing on five main things:

• The request that members of the Electoral College vote for Hillary Clinton instead of Trump. An online petition in support of this has generated over 4.3 million signatures. You can find the petition at bit.ly/2g111IN.
  • Requesting that Trump not follow up on his plans to build a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border. Many are also upset with his avowed plans to deport millions of undocumented immigrants.
  • “Making a statement” against Trump’s rhetoric toward minorities, immigrants, and LGBT people, and the actions such rhetoric inspires.
  • Requesting that Trump denounce the divisive, controversial and often offensive things he said during the campaign.
  • Letting it be known that they, the protesters, do not respect the fact that he is President-elect of the U.S.

The Highland Square protest’s Facebook page adds to the last claim by noting that Hillary Clinton won the popular vote, and that by this, “the American people have already spoken.”

Protests have been held in many other cities in Ohio so far, including Cleveland, Columbus, Kent, Athens, and Cincinnati.