American Legion Post 808 gives Christmas trees to veterans

UA%27s+American+Legion+division+is+giving+10+Christmas+trees+to+student-veterans.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

UA's American Legion division is giving 10 Christmas trees to student-veterans.

Kristina Aiad-Toss

Kristina Aiad-Toss

Kristina Aiad-Toss

By Logan Lane, Managing Editor

The University of Akron division of the American Legion, a nonprofit veterans organization, has 10 Christmas trees to give to student-veterans or their families this holiday season.

American Legion Post 808, as UA’s division is called, aims to engage, educate, and employ student veterans at the University.

“Our focus on successful reintegration of student veterans into the community has provided many opportunity to extend our influence on and off campus,” says Post 808 Commander Ashley Gorbulja.

The organization is asking student veterans to email Gorbulja at amg157@zips.uakron.edu by Dec. 1 if they need a Christmas tree. Once the Post has selected the recipients, it will provide information on where and when to pick up the tree.

The students who receive trees will then be invited to a holiday dinner on Dec. 5 at 6 p.m. in the Veterans Lounge of InfoCision Stadium.

Gorbulja, a UA student currently studying exercise science and psychology, says she was humbled by JACK Cleveland Casino’s donation of 10 Christmas trees. The casino gave Post 808 the trees specifically for veterans and their families.

“We only wish to give back what we can to those in need as an organization,” Gorbulja says.

American Legion Post 808 is also looking for decorations to go with the trees. It is accepting donations of lights and ornaments at the Military Services Center in Simmons Hall, room 213, until 4 p.m. on Dec. 5.

American Legion Post 808 meets every third Monday of the month at the Veterans Lounge in InfoCision Stadium, room 324, at 6 p.m. Visit its website at al808.org to view a calender of events and newsletters.

About the Writer
Logan Lane, Managing Editor

330-972-7362

managing-editor@buchtelite.com

English major