Our View

“We couldn’t agree more with both Obama and McCain in stressing the need for change in today’s society. We did make history Tuesday. Not just because the first black man was elected president of the United States or that a woman came so close to sitting as vice president of our country.”

We couldn’t agree more with both Obama and McCain in stressing the need for change in today’s society.

We did make history Tuesday. Not just because the first black man was elected president of the United States or that a woman came so close to sitting as vice president of our country. We made history through the amount of passion and heart each of us put into this election.

Nobody expected every citizen to be thrilled with the results. This is America. A democracy. The people are the voice of the nation; we have opinions and we have the freedom to voice them.

The amount of people who have claimed to be disappointed in our country since Tuesday is disheartening. To be disappointed in the outcome of the election is understandable. But of our country? For standing up for individual beliefs?

It’s interesting that some of the same citizens who insist that even those who disagree with President Bush should respect him as our leader are now claiming Obama is not their president-elect. For those who threaten to move out of the country: please do.

Two years ago, people made the claim that there was a permanent conservative majority. Now people are asking if there is a permanent liberal majority. There isn’t a permanent anything. We are able to change our minds and our political opinions.

Be proud of America. No matter the candidate you support, Obama is not the country. He will soon represent the United States, but the nation? Well, that is something we all are a part of.