President Obama: This is our time

“Shortly after 11 p.m. on Tuesday evening, Senator Barack Obama was elected the first black president of the United States. ­By the looks of the watch party in the Student Union ballrooms, you might have thought that the Browns had just won the Super Bowl.”

Shortly after 11 p.m. on Tuesday evening, Senator Barack Obama was elected the first black president of the United States.

­By the looks of the watch party in the Student Union ballrooms, you might have thought that the Browns had just won the Super Bowl.

Girls were in tears as Obama’s electoral count jumped to 297 votes, grown men embraced each other and others stood speechless as chants of Obama erupted in the crowd.

We are making history, was an all too familiar saying from the crowd.

One student had something to say as students left the union.

We got a sign up sheet to help Bush move out of the office, he told a group celebrating outside.

The celebration continued with people blasting their stereos, even riding on top of their cars while driving up the road.

There was a mix of both Obama and McCain supporters in attendance, including Mike McGuire, a junior political science student, who said a McCain victory for him would have been the best early Christmas present. He said the states he was watching the closest were Virginia, Pennsylvania and Ohio.

McGuire had been volunteering since 10 a.m. at a poll by Summit mall and witnessed people rushing from work to vote.

Regardless of the outcome, McGuire did bring up a point that many made throughout the night.

We are breaking ground on both race and gender, he said.

The event was hosted by eight different student organizations including the Bliss Institute, political science department, Residence Life council, Vice president of student affairs, the College Democrats and Republicans and Associated Student Government.

President of ASG, Kristen Bowman, was there to see the results.

I think Ohio is not going to be the toss up they think it will be, she said.

While she said she didn’t notice an increase in students at the polls, she did say there were more I Voted stickers on campus.

As the evening went on, states like Pennsylvania and Ohio were called an eruption of cheers could be heard coming from the ballroom.

Neither presidents of the College Republicans, Jason Ziegler, or Democrats, Allison Rochford, attended the big event.

It is what it is, Ziegler said. I hope that the majority of America knows what they are doing. Ziegler expressed that he was upset by the results but hopeful that the new president elect can lead the country in the right direction.

I was at Obama headquarters when they called Ohio, Rochford said. It pretty much meant that we had won the election.

She said the reaction she has seen has been nothing but positive.

Director of the Student Union Ann Bruno said that she had noticed the difference in the election this year.

I think students took more ownership, she said. They were told that they could make a difference everyday.

Bruno said that the estimate of how many attended election coverage in the Student Union totaled 500.

Bruno credited the turnout to all of the organizations that were creating an air of politics on campus, through registration efforts and informing them of early voting.

She said she was happy to hear that Obama had won, and hopes that he can deliver on what he has promised.

When she saw Obama announced as President-Elect Bruno said, I feel like we have gone back to an era that we care.

Shortly after Obama was named the next president, he addressed the crowd in Chicago, including Oprah and Rev. Jesse Jackson.

If there’s anyone out there questioning if America is still a place where anything is possible, he said, Tonight is your answer.

At this defining moment, change has come to America, he said.

He also acknowledged John McCain’s service to the country.

He has fought long and hard for the country he loves, he said. We are better off for the services rendered by this brave and selfless leader.

He thanked those who served on his campaign and acknowledged the work of the thousands of volunteers and millions of supporters.

I will never forget whom this victory truly belongs to, it belongs to you, he told the audience.

He reminded the crowd of the path ahead.

The road ahead will be long and it will be steep, he said. However, Obama expressed his confidence that change would happen even though it may take more than one term.

Obama also chose to address those that may not have voted for him to lead the country.

I may not have won your vote tonight but I hear your voices, the 44th president said. This is our time to put our people back to work.