Notorious B.I.G. biopic to release in January

“Get ready to be hypnotized: On Jan. 16, Notorious, a feature film revolving around the tumultuous and celebrated life of Biggie Smalls will hit theaters. Heavyset Brooklyn rapper Gravy (aka Jamal Woolard) will play the part of the late great Christopher Wallace, and expectations will be understandably high for his portrayal.”

Get ready to be hypnotized: On Jan. 16, Notorious, a feature film revolving around the tumultuous and celebrated life of Biggie Smalls will hit theaters.

Heavyset Brooklyn rapper Gravy (aka Jamal Woolard) will play the part of the late great Christopher Wallace, and expectations will be understandably high for his portrayal.

Eleven years after the tragic death of the hip-hop megastar, audiences will be able to relive the epic feud between Wallace and the late Tupac Shakur, who will be played by Anthony Mackie.

Wallace’s mother, Voletta, and Sean Diddy Combs (portrayed by Angela Basset and Derek Luke in the movie) have been involved in the biographical film from the start to ensure its accuracy and discretion. His former managers, Wayne Barrow and Mark Pitts, also offered their memories to the scriptwriters.

George Tillman, Jr. will direct what many believe will be the biggest movie of 2009.

Fox Searchlight, the production company behind the effort, held an open audition in October 2007. Jay-Z associate Beanie Sigel and singer/rapper Sean Kingston both auditioned for the lead role, but only Woolard proved big enough to land it.

The most important element to casting B.I.G. is what we consider the swagger, Barrow said in a press release.

Though the film is set to be released in early January, a historical Dumpster for Hollywood features, the hype for Notorious has already picked up speed.