Women's hoops in review

The University of Akron women’s basketball team’s season came to an abrupt end Wednesday, March 9, as they fell to Toledo 73-65 in MAC quarterfinal action.

The loss ended the Zips’ season at the 14-16 mark, but the record hardly reflects the product on the floor this season and the potential the program has next season.

These young ladies have been my most enjoyable group since I’ve been at Akron, regardless of our record, said Head Coach Jodi Kest.

Kest will have four returning starters when basketball season returns in the fall, but the program will lose standout Kara Murphy.

Murphy holds the school record for games played and is the University’s all-time leading scorer with 1,777 career points.

The Zips will return starters Rachel Tecca, Carly Young, Natasha Williams and Taylor Ruper.

For us to have the year we had with a young team, I think we are exactly where we need to be, said Kest.

The Zips battled with the cream of the crop of the Mid-American Conference this season, losing in nail biters to Kent State, Bowling Green and, ultimately, Toledo.

I’m very proud of these kids. They did a terrific job all year, and we kept getting better every game in the MAC, said Kest.

Kest will have two more years with sophomore Tecca, who led the team in scoring and rebounding.

Tecca recorded 16 double-doubles on the season, averaging 15.8 points per game and 9.6 rebounds per game.

Sharpshooter Ruper will also return for her junior season after hitting 75 threes on the season (38.3 percent).

Young, who was named to the conference All-Freshman Team, will bring back her scoring abilities (7.9 points per game) and ability to shoot from the outside (35.5 percent from three-point range).

Junior Jasmine Mushington was named Co-Sixth Player of the Year in the MAC, as she now works toward her final season in a Zips’ uniform.

I think we are exactly where we want to be…next year we come back and these young ladies know exactly what they need to do, said Kest.

The Zips did make the MAC Tournament semi-finals just a year ago, finishing with an 18-14 record, but ending this season at the 14-16 mark is far from a step a back.

The program lost four seniors from the 2009-10 season, but that number will shrink to one going into next season. The program will look to build on this year, as youth turns to experience heading into the 2011-12 season.

” #1.2119427:161517784.JPG:Zips Kara Murphy:Kara Murphy played in her last game as a Zip. Murphy will go down in the record books as one of the best women’s basketball players in Akron history.:Caleb Clark”