Women’s Soccer Take Loss Against Central Michigan

Akron: 0 - Central Michigan: 1

Akron Redshirt Freshman, Charley Kale (right) races to maintain possession of the ball from Marle Bringard (left), Central Michigan Junior.

Jordyn Etling

By Jordyn Etling, Sports Editor

On Sunday, Sept. 30, The Akron Women’s Soccer team took a 1-0 loss against Central Michigan (CMU) at FirstEnergy Stadium.

After the first half, the game remained tied at 0-0, with Central Michigan’s goal coming at 47:58. This goal early in the second half left Akron playing catch up for the rest of the game.

Jordyn Etling
Central Michigan players celebrate their first and game-winning goal against Akron.

Plenty of opportunities presented themselves for the Zips to come back, but none were successful.

Although the Zips made 14 shots compared to Central Michigan’s seven, CMU connected their passes, which resulted in their single goal of the game. Out of Akron’s shots, seven were on goal but saved by the keeper.

The Zips also had opportunities coming from 10 corner kicks, but never managed to connect with the goal and result in a score.

Jordyn Etling
Akron Sophomore, Angela Boyce tackled by Central Michigan Keeper, Sophomore Morgan Britain, in efforts to win the ball.

Despite the loss on the record and the multitude of opportunities, the Zips’ defense still held themselves together throughout the game.

Freshman goalkeeper, Erin McKinney only had to stop one other save besides the one that resulted in the goal for CMU.

This loss does go against their conference record, but the Zips have plenty of time to make up.

The women’s team travels to Athens, Ohio on Thursday, Oct. 4 to take on Ohio University. This will be followed up by their match against Kent State on Sunday, Oct. 7.

Both of these games are part of the conference as well, but Kent State is an even bigger game since they are a massive rival to the Zips.