Bierce Library to Host Board Game Fridays for Students

Bierce Library will dedicate the last Friday of every month to this event as their way of participating in Five-Star Fridays.

Back to Article
Back to Article

(Buchtelite file photo)

(Buchtelite file photo)

(Buchtelite file photo)

(Buchtelite file photo)

By Sala Wier, Copy Editor

Starting this semester, Bierce Library will be holding Board Game Fridays from 1:00-3:00 p.m. in the lobby area next to Starbucks on the last Friday of every month.

The first event will be on Oct. 26 and will continue each month until the end of the semester.

Some games will be provided by the library, such as Yahtzee, Trivial Pursuit, Clue, Uno and Scattergories. Students are also encouraged to bring other games.

Sala Wier
The area inside Bierce Library where Board Game Fridays will be held.

“I’m open to people bringing their own games,” Melanie McGurr, Associate Professor of Bibliography and Head of Electronic Services of Bierce Library, said.

In November, there will be “Dungeons and Dragons” for beginners along with a Dungeon Master who will create characters for people to use and help students through an adventure, McGurr said.

Not only is Board Game Fridays a way for Bierce Library to participate in Five Star Fridays, but it also a way for students to get to know the library and its staff.  

“Board games are a good way to meet people, relieve stress, and we like to interact with students whenever we can,” McGurr said.

Since Board Game Fridays is a new activity at Bierce, student participation is still growing. However, McGurr said her department will still be playing games in the case someone stops by later.

About the Contributor
Sala Wier, Copy Editor

Sala Wier is majoring in public relations, with a minor in women's studies at The University of Akron. She will be graduating in Spring 2019.
Sala has been a copy editor for The Buchtelite for the past two years and is grateful for the experience it has given her.
Connect with Sala:
copy-editor1@buchtelite.com