Final game at the Rubber Bowl lives up to hype

“Rarely do sporting events live up to their hype. But on Thursday night, the Zips’ back-and-forth battle with the University at Buffalo Bulls surpassed everyone’s expectations. Put aside the fact that UA fell short in the Rubber Bowl’s final epic battle for a moment.”

Rarely do sporting events live up to their hype. But on Thursday night, the Zips’ back-and-forth battle with the University at Buffalo Bulls surpassed everyone’s expectations.

Put aside the fact that UA fell short in the Rubber Bowl’s final epic battle for a moment. When’s the last time you’ve witnessed in-person a game that exciting with that much at stake on a night with such historical significance?

Four overtimes? That only occurs in endings scripted for made-for-TV movies. (Yes, I realize the game’s ending was anything but an uplifting close, but that’s beside the point.)

As you can probably tell, I’ve gotten past the Zips’ emotional defeat. After all, there really was no alternative.

I could sit here and list the mistakes that cost UA the crucial win, but I’m not going to for two reasons. First, because you or someone you know likely did that before the Rubber Bowl’s gates were even closed for the final time. Secondly, because I could name as many plays in which the Bulls failed to take control of the game as I could for the Zips.

I’ve read and heard comments from fans about how UA outplayed UB and gave the game away with its mistakes. Other fans have said the Bulls outplayed the Zips and their inability to capitalize on opportunities is the only reason the game even went into one overtime, let alone four.

The truth lies somewhere between these two opposing viewpoints, and that’s what made the game so entertaining. Both teams made big plays. Both teams made costly mistakes.

UA just happened to make the last in a game between two fairly even teams.

UA athletics director Mack Rhoades opened the stadium’s closing ceremony by saying, Wow. I guess we were all ready to say goodbye to the Rubber Bowl, but I guess it wasn’t ready to say goodbye to us.

While the final score of the Rubber Bowl’s final game did not fit the occasion, the atmosphere surrounding the game and the play on the field certainly did.

It’s debatable whether the 68-year-old stadium was ready to say goodbye. It’s unquestionable that the Rubber Bowl’s final game will be remembered for the play on the field just as much as it will for the date’s significance.

” #1.1360698:2577082571.JPG:6D9O0009.JPG:Dennis Kennedy jumps into the end zone in the end zone, tying the game at 40-40 in the Zips 43-40 loss to Buffalo Thursday. Kennedy had four TD’s. :Gary Krueger / The Buchtelite”