‘Make Campus Great Again’ Initiative Launched at UA

The Republican National Committee and the Trump Victory Committee created this program to increase support of re-electing Trump in 2020.

(Image via Pixabay)

As the 2020 Presidential Election comes close, political campaigns are increasing their efforts to influence voters.

By Jennifer Hockman, Social Media Editor

Focused on increasing voter registration and supporting the re-election of President Donald Trump, the Republican National Committee and the Trump Victory Committee launched the Make Campus Great Again (MCGA) program.

The first MCGA program launched at The University of Akron on Sept. 16 in the Jean Hower Taber Student Union and continued at three other universities across Ohio. including The Ohio State University.

Around 60 students from various northeast Ohio universities gathered to engage in voter registration efforts with peers and other conservative activists ahead of the 2020 presidential election.

Mandi Merritt, the RNC regional communications director, said this initiative was launched at key university campuses as a way to provide activists and student republicans with a variety of tools to engage their peers.

“These efforts will help to identify, recruit, and train college campus activists to conduct voter registration efforts, organize in their communities and work toward securing Republican victories in 2020,” Merritt said.

Merritt and the Trump Victory feel politically left ideals, such as socialism, are growing in popularity on campuses in the United States. In response to this shift, the initiative hopes to increase conservative presence in campus communities.

“Make Campus Great Again will also serve as a way to bring conservative supporters out of the shadows of college campuses and show that they have a home in the Republican movement,” Merritt said.

Seth Koellner, president of the Kent State College Republicans and chairman of the Ohio College Republican Federation, said President Trump has done several things to improve students’ lives, including his executive order on campus free speech.

Meanwhile, the
College Democrats of Ohio released a statement in response to the MCGA initiative, stating the organization is standing against the President’s rhetoric in the state of Ohio and on college campuses.

In the statement, Eva Holtkamp, president of the College Democrats of Ohio, said they have helped register over 3,000 students at the University of Cincinnati and almost 8,000 students at Ohio University to “vote Donald Trump out of the White House.”

“College students across the Buckeye State know four more years of Donald Trump will be more of the same broken promises, which is why we are fired up and ready to send a Democrat to the White House in his place next November,” Holtkamp said.

Koellner said he thinks students who are unsure of who to vote for in this upcoming presidential election should sit down and think only of their own beliefs and values in order to see who aligns with them.

“I think they really need to sit down and settle with their ideology without thinking of anyone else’s,” Koellner said. “So block out everything you’ve seen on Twitter; block out everything you see in the news.”