Zips Who Made It Big: UA Athletes Playing On Professional Teams

Zippy is here to get students and campus members excited about UA sports.

(Image via The University of Akron)

By Veronica Janosek, News & Sports Editor

Ever wonder where student athletes go after they graduate?

Although not all those who participate in collegiate sports move on to play for professional teams, there have been several from The University of Akron that have continued their athletic career after leaving college.

“We have many former athletes who are currently playing professional sports,” Cathy Bongiovi, the assistant athletic director for communications of all UA sports, said.

Bongiovi provided the names listed below of the former student athletes who currently play on a professional sports team. Additional information on the players’ careers comes from a variety of different sources.

Jatavis Brown – Linebacker, Los Angeles Chargers
According to
ESPN’s website, the San Diego Chargers selected Brown in the fifth round of the 2016 NFL Draft. As the first linebacker drafted from UA in the school’s history, Brown was also the first player drafted from Akron since Reggie Corner in 2008.

Ulysees Gilbert III – Linebacker, Pittsburgh Steelers0
According to the
Steelers website, Gilbert was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round of the 2019 NFL Draft. Gilbert has played in three games at the start of the season and has two tackle assists.

Ben Lundt – Louisville City FC
According to the
FC Cincinnati website, Lundt is a German soccer goalkeeper for Louisville City FC in the USL Championship on loan from FC Cincinnati. Ludnt has yet to start this season.

Abdi Mohamed – Somalia National Team 2019
According to the
MLS  website, Mohamed is a Kenyan-born, American-raised player for the USL Championship soccer team Memphis 901 FC, on loan from New York City FC and the Somalia national team.

Mohamed made his international debut for the Somalia football team for its 2022 World Cup qualifiers against Zimbabwe, where his team won 1-0.

There are several more student athletes that have made it into professional careers. For a complete list for each sport, visit the
Akron Athletics website.