Women's basketball to host Pink Zone game

“The Pink Zone game, which is meant to raise breast cancer awareness, will take place in James A. Rhodes Arena. All fans are asked to wear pink to support breast cancer awareness. Our team will be wearing pink shoelaces, pink wristbands, pink T-shirts, pink headbands, anything we can to get people aware of this disease, Zips head coach Jodi Kest said.”

The Pink Zone game, which is meant to raise breast cancer awareness, will take place in James A. Rhodes Arena. All fans are asked to wear pink to support breast cancer awareness.

Our team will be wearing pink shoelaces, pink wristbands, pink T-shirts, pink headbands, anything we can to get people aware of this disease, Zips head coach Jodi Kest said.

This Saturday, the Zips women’s basketball team (15-10) will host the Pink Zone game at 2 p.m. against the first place MAC eastern division Bowling Green State Falcons (20-6).

T-shirts will be available at the game for $8, $4 of which will be donated to the WBCA/Kay Yow Fund.

Information and representatives from local cancer support organizations will be at the game to answer any questions about breast cancer.

The team will raffle off a pink basket featuring assorted pink items and a team autographed official Pink Zone basketball.

At halftime, a speaker will discuss the importance of breast cancer prevention efforts.

Throughout the game there will be public service announcements from the women’s basketball team, emphasizing the importance of prevention efforts.

We tell our young ladies that somebody in your life that you love or know will be affected by breast cancer, so anything we can do to get to support about this deadly disease we want to help, Kest said.

Admission is free to all students. For more information on this event call Kevin Aha at 330-972-7848.

The Zips will take on the Bowling Green State Falcons for the second time this season. The Jan. 6 game ended in a 74-62 loss.

We are one game behind Bowling Green in the conference and this game will show us how much better we are since the last time we played the Falcons, Kest said.

The Zips outscored the Falcons 34-31 in the second half, but it wasn’t enough to come home with a win from Anderson Arena.

Lauren Prochaska led the offensive attack for the Falcons last time with 23 points.

The Zips shot 26-for-67 from the court, 4-for-13 from behind the arc and 6-for-13 from the free throw line when they last played the Falcons.

Zips freshman power forward Rachel Tecca had a career high 26 points against the Falcons last time they played.

The Falcons suffered conference losses to the Toledo Rockets and the Central Michigan Chippewas.

After Saturday’s game, the Zips will take on conference rival Kent State Feb. 24. The Zips will return home on Feb. 27 when they take on the Miami Redhawks.