UA names Sherman new provost

“Dr. William M. Sherman has been named the new senior vice president, provost and chief operating officer at the University of Akron. I am delighted that Dr. Sherman will be joining us, said President Luis M. Proenza. Dr. Sherman brings stellar credentials to Akron, and he is well prepared to help us further strengthen our academic programs and implement our emerging strategic plan.”

Dr. William M. Sherman has been named the new senior vice president, provost and chief operating officer at the University of Akron.

I am delighted that Dr. Sherman will be joining us, said President Luis M. Proenza. Dr. Sherman brings stellar credentials to Akron, and he is well prepared to help us further strengthen our academic programs and implement our emerging strategic plan.

Pending approval by UA trustees, he can take his new position June 1.

Prior to coming to UA, Sherman was vice president provost for academic planning and professor of sports and exercise science at the Ohio State University.

He began as an assistant professor at OSU in 1985. He advanced to associate professor in 1989, and to professor in 1993. Before being named provost, he was beginning his 12th year as director of the School of Physical Activity and Educational Services.

According to the media release, Sherman will be paid $250,000.

UA has spent two years and $135,000 on the provost search.

The deans of the 14 schools and colleges each report to the provost.