Teenage mom to speak to students

” The Zips Programming Network (ZPN) and The Adult Focus Program will be sponsoring an event called Teenage Mother to Attorney-at-Law on Monday, March 23. The event, which starts at 7 p.m., will be held in the Student Union Theater and will feature speaker Nikki Taylor-Compton.”

The Zips Programming Network (ZPN) and The Adult Focus Program will be sponsoring an event called Teenage Mother to Attorney-at-Law on Monday, March 23. The event, which starts at 7 p.m., will be held in the Student Union Theater and will feature speaker Nikki Taylor-Compton.

Taylor-Compton is a native of Louisville, Kentucky and the eldest child of eight was also a teenage mother.

Many students struggle in school. Finding the time and energy to attend school at all is difficult for young parents. By graduating from the University of Louisville with a law degree (J.D.) and a Master of Business Administration (MBA), Taylor-Compton proved that it is possible.

Also a graduate of Berea College, Taylor-Compton talks openly about her successes and achievements, but she does not hesitate to speak about her failures as well. She does this in hopes of making a difference in the lives of many people.

Teenagers and young adults who experience the shock of an unplanned pregnancy often feel as if their education needs to be put on hold or put off completely in order for them to devote more time to their child. Some feel that it is simply impossible to attend college while rearing a child.

Diversity Chair of the Zips Programming Network Candace Thomas feels differently.

I feel students should not just drop out of school because they have become pregnant, she said. There are ways to work around different situations.

Thomas said that she chose Taylor-Compton as the speaker for the event because she felt that her story could motivate others to accomplish their dreams.

The pregnancy rate in teenagers and young adults is increasing across the country, she said. There are resources available to young mothers and fathers.

The Adult Focus Program at the University of Akron is an academic support service specifically for adult students. The program assists students by offering thing such as mentor programs, book loans, and even a child care referral list.

To be considered an adult learner, a student must be a parent, a spouse, a caregiver, a veteran of the armed services, or 25 years old or older.

A student only needs to fulfill one of these requirements. They also can be considered an adult learner if they are returning to school after four or more years of employment.

Adults and young parents who attend school are usually in a different position than younger students. Their main focus is not school. Instead, it is usually a child or a full-time job. The Adult Focus Program wants to help these non-traditional students make the most of their education in a way that is manageable with their situations.

The Adult Focus Program offers evening and weekend classes and offers the option to form a sense of community among adult students.

Students will have the option to join UA Adult Learners (UAAL), which is an organization that represents non-traditional students. They also offer the chance to join the Alpha Sigma Lambda National Honor Society, which is a non-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of scholarships for non-traditional students.

Thomas knows a few students who are pregnant or rearing a child.

I would hate to see them drop out of school, she said.

The event is free and is followed by a question and answer session. Refreshments will be served.