Speaker series to include Native American psychologist

” The Psychology Archives is hosting its second installment of its Spring Colloquium series this Thursday, March 5, from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. Dr. Marigold Linton will be speaking and the speech is titled Living a Life, Achieving a Life. Linton is a psychologist who received her B.”

The Psychology Archives is hosting its second installment of its Spring Colloquium series this Thursday, March 5, from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m.

Dr. Marigold Linton will be speaking and the speech is titled Living a Life, Achieving a Life.

Linton is a psychologist who received her B.A. from the University of California Riverside and her Ph.D. in experimental psychology at the University of California Los Angeles in 1964.

She is the one of the first American Indians to earn a Ph.D. in psychology.

As a Cahuilla Indian raised on the Morongo Indian Reservation in Southern California, Linton faced tremendous obstacles.

Not only is she one of the first American Indians to earn a Ph.D. in psychology, she is also the first California reservation Indian to attend a university at all.

When Linton decided that she wanted to pursue an education, she suffered from continual nightmares about leaving the reservation for good.

When you flunk out, we will be here for you, was her father’s response when she informed him of her goal.

It wasn’t until after experimenting with majors in English, French and Political Science that she decided to stick with a Psychology major.

You are trained so broadly. There are so many things that you can do with a Psychology degree, Linton said.

Linton mainly studies long-term memory, and chose that because, at the time, the majority of psychologists that she knew were interested in studying short-term memory.

Linton wanted to bring new information to the field.

One technique she used involved writing down a few memories each day and rating them in terms of how emotional and how important they felt at that moment.

At the end of each month, she would then review all of her recorded memories and rate them again.

She found that, in most cases, she felt significantly less emotional about the memories after only a few weeks.

Highly emotional things don’t necessarily stay highly emotional for long, Dr. Linton explained.

During her time as Director of American Indian Programs at Arizona State University, Linton helped others work toward achieving what she had achieved.

She worked with numerous tribes in Arizona and helped them improve their math and science skills.

Many American Indians have been able to earn advanced degrees in the sciences because of programs that Linton played a leading role in.

Her impressive career also includes time as the Director of American Indian Outreach at the University of Kansas and Past President of the Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science.

The next and final installment in the Spring Colloquium series will be April 2, from 12:30 to 2:00 p.m. and will feature Dr. Joseph L. White.

His talk is entitled The Evolution of Black Psychology in the Modern Era and Beyond: One Man’s Journey. It will be held in room 312 of the Student Union.

Linton will be speaking in room 335 of the Student Union on Thursday.