Monthly Art Walk Offers Low Budget Fun

“Looking to do something fun this weekend on a budget? Every first Saturday of the month there is an art walk in downtown Akron, and this month’s art walk is this Saturday, March 7. Beginning at 5 p.m. and running until 10 p.m. art galleries in the Northside and downtown areas open their doors to the citizens of the community.”

Looking to do something fun this weekend on a budget? Every first Saturday of the month there is an art walk in downtown Akron, and this month’s art walk is this Saturday, March 7.

Beginning at 5 p.m. and running until 10 p.m. art galleries in the Northside and downtown areas open their doors to the citizens of the community.

It is most convenient to start the art walk at the Red Light Galleries, which is located right next to Luigi’s, the heavenly Italian restaurant whose mouth-watering pizza is a must-try. There is some pretty nice work showcased there, most notably the macabrely fascinating nude sculptures and drawings by Ron White.

Near the Red Light Galleries are two other places to check out: Akron Glass Works across from Luigi’s and the Zeber-Martell Studio, which is past the Vegiterranean restaurant.

At Akron Glass Works there is an on-sight glass blower, so one can sit down, relax, and watch gorgeous vases and be created right before his or her eyes. If one of these objects is especially appealing, there is always the option of purchasing it in the attached shop. The husband and wife duo at the Zeber-Martell Studio also design wares for the home; their gorgeous earth-toned pottery would look great in a room of any color or style.

The other galleries are located in the downtown area. Though it is called an art walk, if walking doesn’t sound to one’s liking, especially in this terrible, frigid weather, there is also a trolley available which comes around every fifteen minutes or so in the Luigi’s parking lot.

The highlights of downtown include the We Gallery on High Street and Urban Kanvas, located on East Market Street. Everything from jewelry-fabulous plastic and Swarovski crystal rings to handbags amazing eco-chic metallic clutches made from gum wrappers are offered at the We Gallery. If pop art is your thing, then Urban Kanvas will certainly cater to your interests. There are many Warhol-like and graffiti-style paintings, the coolest of them being a cabinet painted with the Louis Vuitton logo in order to capture the appearance of the one of the famous French luxury brand’s trunks.

The Akron art walk offers a variety of art for many different types of people. It is best to gather a group and go and enjoy the sights. If you can’t make it this month, don’t fret! Just go next month! If directions are needed, call Luigi’s restaurant at (330) 253-2999.