Last call for Manny's

“With InfoCision Stadium looming in the background, students packed the patio of Manny’s Pub for a bittersweet celebration Saturday night. As the temperature outside dropped into the 20s, the crowded atmosphere inside felt like a sauna. In December, the University of Akron utilized expiring eminent domain laws to buy the popular Zip Strip bar from Manny and Collette Nemer for $1.”

With InfoCision Stadium looming in the background, students packed the patio of Manny’s Pub for a bittersweet celebration Saturday night.

As the temperature outside dropped into the 20s, the crowded atmosphere inside felt like a sauna.

In December, the University of Akron utilized expiring eminent domain laws to buy the popular Zip Strip bar from Manny and Collette Nemer for $1.8 million as part of its controversial expansion.

UA plans to build a state-of-the art $32.5 million residence hall in the plot of land that includes the Manny’s building and the adjacent Aroma Coffee and Tea, also owned by the Nemers.

The bar is set to close on March 15, but Manny decided to throw a sort of farewell party Saturday to celebrate 25 years of business and a new direction. Manny’s Pub will be relocated to the corner of Brown and Wheeler streets in the densely student-populated area south of campus in August or September.

Before the last call celebration, bartender Jonathan Poling said that the staff would be prepared for the swarm.

All of our bartenders will be working all day and we will have reserves ready when the crowd picks up, Poling said.

The doors opened at noon with the final call at 2:30 a.m. Though guests were encouraged to wear 1980s apparel in remembrance of the pub’s 1984 opening, only several unlucky guests actually did.

Though the official capacity of Manny’s is 300, it seemed like many more packed the modest pub as music blared and the bar nearly ran out of drink glasses.
Manny and three other bartenders worked the bar as students waited two and three-deep for drinks.

Students’ tabs ran as high as their spirits as irresponsible decisions were made and memories were forged for a lifetime.

With the exception of one obligatory 10-second fight, everyone seemed to have a great Saturday night.

UA senior electrical engineering major Joseph Koch, who celebrated his birthday at the pub with some friends, said Manny’s is one of his favorite places to go on weekends.

When asked what he liked most about the pub, Joe thought for several minutes before giving a simple and telling answer: Everyone is just happy here.

Call news writer Ben White at:

330-972-7362

To comment on this story, go to:

https://www.buchtelite.com