PBS Western Reserve to premiere ‘Marauder Men: In Their Own Words’ on Veterans Day

Documentary screening to be held Nov. 18 at MAPS Air Museum
PBS Western Reserve
Marauder Men-332 bomb group damage

Kent, OH — Oct. 13, 2023 — A new three-episode docuseries spotlighting the Martin B-26 Marauder and the brave World War II pilots who flew them will debut on PBS Western Reserve (WNEO 45.1 / WEAO 49.1) on Veterans Day, Saturday, Nov. 11, from 7–8:30 p.m. Coinciding with the premiere, the station will hold a free screening event of the first episode of the series on Saturday, Nov. 18, at 1 p.m. at MAPS Air Museum in Canton. The event also will feature a tour by the crew chief of the rare, restored B-26 that is featured in the production. 

A tactical aircraft, this oft-forgotten machine of war flew in support of troops on the ground and was used in operations where precision was essential. In the 1990s, the B-26 Marauder Historical Society videotaped oral histories detailing the experiences of “Marauder Men,” the nickname Martin B-26 Marauder pilots claimed in celebration of their camaraderie. MARAUDER MEN: IN THEIR OWN WORDS is an intimate look at that footage.

The interviews featured in the production detail stories of crash landings, the deplorable living conditions faced in the Pacific, bombing on D-Day and flying during the Battle of the Bulge. Ed Pewitt of the 319 Bomb Group described one of his proudest moments as a pilot of the B-26, targeting the railroad marshaling yards in Florence, Italy: “The reason that we were so proud of what we did there [is] Florence has so many national treasures, and to my knowledge, we stayed pretty close within what we were supposed to hit.”

The B-26, of which there were only 5,288 ever built, was used exclusively in World War II. It made its maiden flight in 1940 but by 1945 was already considered outdated. Most of the planes were destroyed at the end of the war.

“It’s such an underappreciated aircraft,” said MAPS volunteer Rick Johnston. “That’s why I have such a great affection for it.”

The restoration of the B-26 at the MAPS Air Museum was a dedicated effort to preserve a part of history. Crew chief David Pawski said, “It wound up taking about 21 years … A lot of people have touched it along the years.” 

MARAUDER MEN: IN THEIR OWN WORDS is produced by Steve Mitchell of Uniontown and narrated by Uniontown resident Chris Billings. For additional MARAUDER MEN air dates and times on PBS Western Reserve and Fusion (WNEO 45.2 / WEAO 49.2), and information on free viewing on demand following the premiere, visit PBSWesternReserve.org. To register for the free event at MAPS Air Museum, visit PBSWesternReserve.org.

About PBS Western Reserve

PBS Western Reserve is the brand name of Northeastern Educational Television of Ohio, Inc., a 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation. A trusted community resource, PBS Western Reserve uses the power of commercial-free television and related services to enrich the lives of people through high-quality programming and educational services that teach, illuminate and inspire. It serves the largest population of Ohio’s eight PBS member stations. PBS Western Reserve (WNEO 45.1 / WEAO 49.1), a service of the organization, is the only broadcast television service that reaches all of Northeast Ohio. It is available to 4.9 million people in the Cleveland and Youngstown designated market areas. In an average month, more than 1 million people tune in. The organization also operates two standard definition channels: Fusion (WNEO 45.2 / WEAO 49.2) and FNX (WNEO 45.3 / WEAO 49.3). For more information about the organization, visit www.PBSWesternReserve.org or call 1-800-554-4549.