'The International' is hard to follow, fails to bring in audience

“The International delivers entertainment, but is often too over the top for it’s own good. It’s sort of a much more action packed version of Michael Clayton. It works as an entertaining action flick, but not as a smart thriller. Advanced screenings for this film were poor which is probably the reason for the big action sequence in the middle that was put in.”

The International delivers entertainment, but is often too over the top for it’s own good.

It’s sort of a much more action packed version of Michael Clayton.

It works as an entertaining action flick, but not as a smart thriller.

Advanced screenings for this film were poor which is probably the reason for the big action sequence in the middle that was put in.

There is more of a plot in an episode of Seinfield.

The action must have been to make up for that.

At times it’s a bit hard to follow and it could have used a few more funny one liners to help with the entertainment value.

Clive Owen and Naomi Watts are pretty effective in their roles.

Clive Owen playing a burned out Interpol agent and Watts plays the District Attorney of New York.

The good acting made up for some of the weak dialogue you would expect in such a movie.

The first line of the film is Fiction has to make sense.

Most of it did make sense.

There weren’t any slow motion shots of Clive Owen doing flips in the air or anything.

What made me want to see the film was the last line of the trailer.

If you’ve seen the trailer you know what it is.

So expecting too much wasn’t realistic.

One theory as to why this did poorly at the box office is that during the economic crisis when people are being foreclosed and screwed by their banks they don’t want to go to a movie with this theme.

Where the banks are terrible villains that kill people and use your money to rule the world, it hits too close to home.

PEople who have seen Run Lola Run and want to see this because it’s from the same director may be disappointed.

The International is more entertaining but doesn’t try as hard to be high brow as the former does.

This isn’t a must-see in theaters, but definitely a good rent for a rainy day.