Opening Night

The Vagina Monologues opened to the applause of a packed house Sunday afternoon at the Stage Door at E.J Thomas Hall.

The show, originally created and staged in 1996 by Eve Ensler as an off-Broadway production, was presented this weekend by the University’s Women’s Studies Program and The Women’s Resource Center. It was one of many that will be performed around the world to raise money for the V-Day organization.

This was such a wonderful experience, said Starr Davis, cast member and sophomore at the University. It wasn’t much of a play for me, it was real life.

Sunday’s show included monologues on topics ranging from the very serious, discussing violence and abuse, to the more light-hearted story of an ex-lawyer-turned sex-worker-for-women who loves her job. Ensler originally interviewed over 200 women to collect and share their varied experiences surrounding their vaginas.

I had seen this when I was in college, said Andrea Martin, who graduated from a Catholic University. I decided to come with my mother and sister. There has been occasional controversy on Catholic campuses surrounding the content of the show, although it is still performed at many schools.

I thought the actresses were fabulous, said Martin’s mother, Anne Martin. The women who presented the monologues received plenty of applause and laughter from the audience throughout the show.

Since 2002, the collection has included a new monologue every year as a part of V-Day’s Spotlight Campaign, an effort to bring attention to a recent or ongoing issue. This year’s campaign was focused on the women and girls of Haiti, who have seen an increase in violence and rape since last January’s earthquake. The monologue discussed Myriam Merlet, a Haitian political activist and Chief of Staff of the Haitian Ministry of Women’s Affairs, who died in the quake. Merlet had worked to bring attention to the use of rape as a political weapon,as well as to raise the profile of women in her country and abroad.           

One of the most important parts of the show, according to co-organizer Ashley Farrish, is the invitation at the end for audience members who had been victims of rape or sexual assault to stand up. Friends of victims were then invited to join them, followed by those who would commit to helping prevent violence against women in the future. By the end, the entire house was on its feet.

It’s helpful for women on every level, said Farrish, who has been involved with the production for several years.

Eve Ensler, the original creator of the show, helped to form the V-Day organization in 1998, which uses money raised by the Vagina Monologues and other events to help fund women’s anti-violence groups worldwide. Proceeds from Akron’s show will benefit the Rape Crisis Centers of Summit and Medina Counties and efforts to help women in Haiti.

Sunday’s show was well attended, but those who were not there have another chance to see it this Friday at 8 p.m. at the Stage Door. Tickets are $5 with a Zip Card and $10 for general admission. 

” #1.1979843:4099925877.jpg:Vagina Monologues:The 2010 edition of the Vagina Monologues (pictured above) sold out both shows. The first performance this year was on Sunday night on The University of Akron campus. Another performance will take place on Feb. 18:EJ Thomas Performing Arts Hall”