Zips sign class of 2009

“By Kevin Crater [email protected] Twenty-four recruits officially signed to play football for the Akron Zips Wednesday, as 10 a.m. marked the beginning of college football’s signing day 2009. Topping the Zips’ commitment list are six 3-star recruits and one 4-star recruit.”

By Kevin Crater

[email protected]

Twenty-four recruits officially signed to play football for the Akron Zips Wednesday, as 10 a.m. marked the beginning of college football’s signing day 2009.

Topping the Zips’ commitment list are six 3-star recruits and one 4-star recruit. Among the 3-star recruits are QB Patrick Nicely, WR Jeremy LeFrance, OL Jake Brandt, DBs Diamond Weaver and Bill Alexander, and DE Phil Tonga. Christopher Henderson is the Zips’ lone 4-star signee.

Head Coach J.D. Brookhart noted that the Zips’ offensive line recruits, notably Jake Brandt, will eventually be able to play on both sides of the ball, adding to the depth of the defensive line. When asked if the newly found defensive line depth would induce the coaching staff to stray away from the quick yet slightly diminutive 3-3-5 defensive scheme, Brookhart averted commenting, only hinting that football time isn’t until tomorrow.

When asked what it would mean to have success in recruiting locally from schools such as Glenville High School, Brookhart interjected, I consider all of Ohio local, we work from the inside out, and try to stay local.

The Zips also had success in Michigan and Georgia, signing five recruits from both states total.

According to Brookhart, part of the successful recruiting out of state is due to the attractive features on campus, such as the Student Recreation and Wellness Center. It’s a fun place to show off to a 17-year-old and their family.

Brookhart mentioned that recruiting is not the only way to improve in the off-season. He stressed the need for finishing games and the fact that the Zips were only 16 points away from finishing with a record of 9-3. Brookhart added that he believes that the right adjustments will be made, and that he was impressed with the enthusiasm he saw in the 6:45 a.m. workout Wednesday.

After he finished listing and describing all of the Zips’ commitments, Brookhart added, I am very pleased with the class, and I am very pleased with the coaching staff.

Call sports writer Kevin Crater:

330-972-7395.

To comment on this story, go to:

https://www.buchtelite.com