The Ferrari of Thrift Stores

“It is apparent that the world is currently suffering from a devastating economical breakdown, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that one has to put his or her appearance on hold-fashion is fashion, even if the whole of Wall Street is in shambles. This is a time where every penny needs to be spent wisely when it comes to clothes.”

It is apparent that the world is currently suffering from a devastating economical breakdown, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that one has to put his or her appearance on hold-fashion is fashion, even if the whole of Wall Street is in shambles. This is a time where every penny needs to be spent wisely when it comes to clothes. No splurging on that must-have Louis Vuitton bag or a new pair of jeans that cost as much as the month’s rent. It’s time to cut back, while still maintaining an impeccable closet. How? Three words: Village Discount Outlet.
If the Salvation Army is an Oldsmobile and the Goodwill a Honda, then the Village Discount Outlet is certainly the Ferrari of thrift stores. Offering a wide selection of everything from like-new cashmere sweaters to vintage Levi’s denim jackets for single-digit prices, the VDO is a paradise of clothes and accessories. And with two locations in the Akron area, it has suddenly become the most popular shopping mecca in all of Summit County.
To understand the greatness of the Village, though, one must first learn about the amazing tagging process which sets them apart from the rest.
Similar to other thrift stores, the VDO is divided into different sections, including apparel, home, and jewelry. Each item in the store has a different colored tag with the price marked on it. The hue of the tag is important, as every day two separate colored tags are half-off. Even better, on Mondays, a special tag is chosen and all articles in the store with that color tag are 50 cents. The only color that never goes on sale is white. Due to this procedure, for true fanatics, shopping at the Village has been narrowed down to an art; it’s all about going on the right day!
There is something for people of all walks of life at the Village, including loads of hand-me-down Hollister for the tween crowd, great blazers for professional-types, and enough leather jackets to outfit every Ramones tribute band this side of the Mississippi. And the prices are to die for: ten new outfits can be bought for the price of a single sweater at the mall. For shopaholics, the Village is nirvana. It is truly difficult to leave the store without looking like a bag lady.
Of course, thrifting at the VDO has its downfalls, including braving the hordes of people which at times-especially Mondays- emulate a cattle call. The main issue, however, is the time one must spend in order to uncover the right pieces of clothing; searching is almost mandatory to snatch a great find. But among racks of vomitous neon jumpers, paisley muumuus, and leisure suits, there is almost always a treasure, either it be a sophisticated Armani smoking jacket, a fringe leather vest (western-wear is totally in this season), or a brand-new looking winter coat for five dollars.
Previously only frequented by welfare moms, cooler-than-thou hipsters and costume-hunting folk, thrift stores have quickly turned into the new shopping hot-spots for all- and not only because of the recession. Vintage and second-hand clothes have become more popular than ever, mainly due to the much-imitated styles of fashion icons like Kate Moss and Mary-Kate Olsen. Fashion magazines are even advocating that a great wardrobe consists not only of designer wear, but also a mixture of vintage and high-street, or cheap, clothing. For a well-rounded closet, then, visit the Village Discount Outlet, where the possibilities are endless.
For store information, call (330) 773-8420 (Waterloo Rd.) or (330) 384-8100 (State Rd.)

Call arts writer Vincent Ciarlariello:
330-972-8449.