Stevo's Ego

“Yes, it’s true. The rumors are no longer just rumors. Blink 182 is reuniting! The Grammys said so, which means it has to be true. This could only be really good, or really bad, but there is definitely no middle ground. Yes, as hard as it might be for me to admit, Blink 182 was the first real band I had attached myself to when I reached that age where you start to question your identity and personal taste.”

Yes, it’s true. The rumors are no longer just rumors. Blink 182 is reuniting! The Grammys said so, which means it has to be true. This could only be really good, or really bad, but there is definitely no middle ground. Yes, as hard as it might be for me to admit, Blink 182 was the first real band I had attached myself to when I reached that age where you start to question your identity and personal taste.
I was 13, to be more specific, and my album of choice was Enema of the State. Nothing made me happier than listening to three grown men singing songs about how much they despised adulthood and wishing they would never grow up. Now, fast forward to a pre-Angels and Airwaves/Plus 44 frame of time and what stage of Blink 182 do you have? Well, to put it in the best way possible: crap.
I was totally happy to hear that my first true music idols will soon return to the stage, but if they so choose to ignore all of their best material (anything that precedes Take Off Your Pants and Jacket) then the results could be catastrophic.
This is what I mean when I say it will either be good or bad. I want to hear the music I liked when I was 13, not the music that 13-year-olds from this generation currently like. There is a huge difference. We had good taste back then.
Now, a few words about the Grammys.
Yes, M.I.A.’s ego is prego, but she still knows how to give a great performance. On a similar note, Coldplay continues to win my favor. I don’t know how they do it.
I doubt I need to say much about Kanye West, considering he says enough about himself as it is. And why is Jason Mraz still popular? Can anyone tell me? We get it Jason, you’re cool and edgy and you know how to get women. Congratulations, you’ve managed to trick people into thinking your music is unique. Stop wearing that ridiculously stupid hat every time you go out in public, or someone might finally knock it off your head.

Call asst. arts editor Steve Lidrbach:
330-972-8449.