The Grotto offers classy meals at cheap prices

“There is a place of leisure lore in the minds of everyone who has ever attempted to have a good time. A location that is shrouded in excited mystery, where only the lucky few have ventured and inspire envy in anyone they share the stories with. It is also closer to Akron than many people may think, because The Grotto off Merriman Road is a shy 15 minutes from the University of Akron campus.”

There is a place of leisure lore in the minds of everyone who has ever attempted to have a good time.

A location that is shrouded in excited mystery, where only the lucky few have ventured and inspire envy in anyone they share the stories with.

It is also closer to Akron than many people may think, because The Grotto off Merriman Road is a shy 15 minutes from the University of Akron campus.

Perhaps the most ingenious name to call a bar around the area; it is amazing that not many people know about this sleeper bar.

The name also fits the preconceived notions you would have about such a joint; it is as though you can smell the class upon walking through the door.

This could be the succulent variety of dishes that are cooking in the back, because The Grotto also has the finest dining of any bar in the area.

As owner Lee Rohan states, It is a bar with a restaurant around it.

They also have a fine selection of adult beverages with around 12 different beers in the bottle including some Great Lakes seasonal beer, a fair amount of beers on tap and a classy wine list.

The Grotto also offers a decadent Chocolate Martini that is perfect for those with an alcoholic sweet tooth.

The grill is where The Grotto shines, primarily because of some very grand chefs who are always inventive in creating the dishes from week to week.

The Grotto specializes as a surf and turf bar with a slight vegetarian menu; every Tuesday and Wednesday is steak night where you can get miraculous prices for the quality of the food.

One chef states the menu at The Grotto consists of four-star foods with two-star prices.

However, with such a name as The Grotto it is expected that on a Friday or Saturday night you might want to make a reservation for that upcoming date night with your significant other.

The Grotto would make a supreme choice for a relaxed evening out especially once the patio opens up when the weather starts to cooperate and since the grill is open until about 11 p.m., take your time getting ready for the night on the town.

It is extremely rare to find a much more sophisticated college hangout than the Grotto.

Not in the sense that people there are those stuffy archetypes from Hollywood movies, but as soon as sitting at the bar you get the feeling that everyone in the place is there to have a grand time.

If you feel the need to order something shaken not stirred and to say it in an early Sean Connery voice, it is perfectly understandable considering the surroundings.

From the bartenders to the older couple relaxing in a nearby booth, it seems that everyone will remember their time at The Grotto and will make everyone who has never been there jealous with their stories of grandeur and how high class the entire experience was.