Counting Crows release first album in five years

“Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings, Counting Crows’ first studio album since 2003, was released last Tuesday. Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings has two halves done by two different producers. Gil Norton, who did production work on Counting Crows’ second album, Recovering the Satellites, was responsible for the Saturday Nights half.”

Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings, Counting Crows’ first studio album since 2003, was released last Tuesday.

Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings has two halves done by two different producers.

Gil Norton, who did production work on Counting Crows’ second album, Recovering the Satellites, was responsible for the Saturday Nights half.

Brian Deck, producer of Modest Mouse’s The Moon and Antarctica, was in charge of the second, mellower half of the album.

Similar to the range of music found on The Colour and Shape of the Foo Fighters is the contrast between the CD’s hard-hitting rock and soul-searching ballads.

Pop in Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings, and you will instantly be reminded of the days when the archetypal ’90s bands like Counting Crows, Matchbox 20 and R.E.M ruled the airwaves.

Driving drumbeats, electric guitar riffs and storming lyrics abound in Saturday Nights.

The first six songs are inspired by the commotion and mix of emotions that are characteristic of Saturday nights.

Singer Adam Duritz’s cutting vocals, especially in Insignificant, are reminiscent of those of Rob Thomas, lead singer of Matchbox 20.

Duritz’s spirited singing extends into the many powerful electric guitar solos that make up Saturday Nights.

All chaotic Saturday nights eventually fade into quiet Sunday mornings though, and that’s where Deck takes over.

The acoustic, country-influenced sound of part two of the album is filled with great piano and harmonica lines.

Counting Crows’ longing ballads found on Sunday Mornings may bring to mind classic ’90s band, The Wallflowers.

Although it is mellow, Sunday Mornings still has that intensity and passion that’s characteristic of Counting Crows.

Counting Crows took a big risk in producing this concept album. But the bigger the risk, the greater the opportunity for reward, and Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings will gain just that.

This is the best Counting Crows’ album since their debut with August and Everything After.

Although it’s new and innovative, Counting Crows stay true to themselves and don’t sacrifice quality for the sake of change.

Akron guitarist Andy Graham said, Go out and get this CD, and then after you’ve listened to it, play it again-even if you’ve never liked Counting Crows. This album showcases their versatility and appeals to music-lovers of all types.