Our view: Students aren't helping the parking problem

” Each semester students moan and groan about the lack of parking on campus. The fact of it is, it’s not entirely a lack of spaces, it’s people taking up more than one space. Driving through any of the various parking decks it’s astonishing to see cars taking up two, even three parking spaces.”

Each semester students moan and groan about the lack of parking on campus. The fact of it is, it’s not entirely a lack of spaces, it’s people taking up more than one space.

Driving through any of the various parking decks it’s astonishing to see cars taking up two, even three parking spaces.

We understand parking can be a scary thing especially when driving a car you don’t want to get scratched or dinged, but remember, taking up that extra space only makes parking harder for those of us that may not get to campus until noon or later.

It’s understandable that when driving a Ford F-350 Super Duty, or some other extremely large vehicle, it is the Cavaliers, Neons and Geo Metro’s that seem to have the hardest time fitting into one space.

Let’s help each other out and stick to one space per vehicle, therefore we can all get to class on time.

Besides, there is no reason that small, compact cars should have to struggle in order to fit into a single parking space. If students want to spend their money on huge 4X4’s we have no problem with that, but keep them within the lines.

It’s bad enough that there aren’t enough parking spots around campus, but having to deal with people that never should have passed drivers education makes the whole situation more frustrating.

It takes about 20 seconds to back a car out, straighten the wheels, and pull it back in the space, so why does it seem like so many commuters are unable to accomplish such a simple task?

Parking tickets are already outrageous, so ticketing people who can’t park seems like the most logical way to make them park their cars the right way.