Old and new come together in Super Smash Bros. Brawl

“The third installment of Nintendo’s action series has had record sales in Japan, selling over a million copies in a week and a half of its initial release, and this week is flying off the shelves in North America.  Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii system has new characters, stages, moves and best of all, a multiplayer method.”

The third installment of Nintendo’s action series has had record sales in Japan, selling over a million copies in a week and a half of its initial release, and this week is flying off the shelves in North America.  Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii system has new characters, stages, moves and best of all, a multiplayer method.

The greatest warriors of Nintendo’s universe, as well some third-party characters, are brought forth for a tournament of melee battles.  Mario, Sonic, Link, Bowser, Solid Snake and over 30 more characters vie for the championship, to battle fellow warriors to reach the top.

This installment also offers new features never before available to players.  Using Nintendo’s Wi-Fi service, players can battle friends and perfect strangers online.  Up to four can battle in the same room using the Wii’s wireless remote controller, the Wii’s Classic Controller or a Nintendo GameCube controller.  If players get bored of unlocking stages and characters, Brawl offers players the ability to create new stages to use in melee battles.

Among new items introduced to this game, players may find a rare Smash Ball, which gives the character a Final Move.  Hard to stop and difficult to survive, even the most novice of player can even the match against a veteran player.

As part of the services the Nintendo Wii offers, players may also unlock Masterpieces, demos of popular and famous games that involve the Brawl’s characters.  Super Mario Bros., Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, all can be unlocked and played, but for limited times.

Fear not, because all these trial games are available as full downloads through Nintendo’s Virtual Console.

Due to a hardware issue, some people have been incapable of playing the game.  Nintendo has identified the issue as a dirty lens and is giving customers free repairs.  Since Super Smash Bros. Brawl is the first dual-layer game for the Wii, the problem was not found before its release.  Though it really is no condolence to players who are eager to battle, and will be without their machine for days.

With new characters, stages, items, music, methods of play and unlockable features, Nintendo finds itself with another winner of a software title.  It has been No. 1 on Amazon’s sales charts for video games for weeks, and has gotten perfect or near-perfect reviews from nearly every gaming and news site.

The game retails for $49.99.  It is rated T for Teen.  It is available from most retailers.

” #1.1361169:2619814760.jpg:PLG-SMASHBROS-REVIEW-1-MCT.jpg:Mario in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for Nintendo Wii. :MCT”