Zips head outdoors

“The University of Akron track team competed in their first outdoor meet of the season with positive results and look forward to the rest of their season. The Zips traveled south to compete in North Carolina-Charlotte’s 49ers Classic at Irwin Belk Track and came home with four NCAA Regional standards met.”

The University of Akron track team competed in their first outdoor meet of the season with positive results and look forward to the rest of their season.

The Zips traveled south to compete in North Carolina-Charlotte’s 49ers Classic at Irwin Belk Track and came home with four NCAA Regional standards met.

Stevi Large, who was named an All-American at the 2008 Indoor NCAA Championships, set a new record in the hammer throw with a distance of 63.33 meters. The mark is a new UA, Mid-American Conference and Irwin Belk Track record. It is nearly five feet better than her previous record.

It was great, head coach Dennis Mitchell said. We’ve been focusing on indoors, but she has come off strong. It was a great record before and for her to get it in the first meet is great.

Large also set regional standards in the discus and shot put.

Austin Papay, also named an All-American at the Indoor NCAA Championships, finished second overall in both the shot put and discus and qualified for the Mideast Regional in both events.

Cadeau Kelley reached the regional standard in the triple jump with a mark of 15.00 meters.

I was really pleased, Mitchell said. These meets are earlier than usual for us; we just came of our indoor meets. We trained hard and we thought they’d be beat up but a lot of them responded well. I’m most impressed with individuals that didn’t place in indoor events, but placed in outdoors. The team is getting stronger and stronger.

Next up for the Zips is the Florida Relays in Gainesville, Fla.

We’re having a great week of training, Mitchell said. We’re looking forward going into the Florida Relays stronger. We’ve spent a lot of time this week training hard and getting physically ready. We’re beat up this week, but by next week we’ll be ready.

The Florida Relays is a great meet with national level programs, Mitchell said. We focus on athletes that we feel can qualify for NCAA regionals, and we’re taking quite a few down with us. It’s a chance to go against some of the best athletes in the country.

The Zips will compete in the Florida Relays April 4-5.

I’m very pleased with the group, Mitchell said. We’re more confident heading into the outdoor season than the indoor season.

” #1.1361064:358949493.jpg:CadeauKelleyatAllOhio2007.jpg:Cadeau Kelley won three jumping events Saturday for the Zips.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”