One copy of the New Testament is enough

“This time of Spring semester is always the best. The weather is starting to get warmer, classes are almost finished and we are that much closer to being able to waste an entire day by a pool, lake or beach. However, with the good comes the bad. Unfortunately that bad comes in waves of people asking you to sign their petition, take that 500th copy of the Old Testament, or stand with them and say that the idea of abortion is the worst thing imaginable.”

This time of Spring semester is always the best. The weather is starting to get warmer, classes are almost finished and we are that much closer to being able to waste an entire day by a pool, lake or beach.

However, with the good comes the bad.

Unfortunately that bad comes in waves of people asking you to sign their petition, take that 500th copy of the New Testament, or stand with them and say that the idea of abortion is the worst thing imaginable.

I understand these people are passionate about their cause and I admire them for that.

However, when I have someone trying to give me a Bible five times in one day for the third time this week, they have passed admiration and moved straight to annoying.

On several occasions I have witnessed people take the longest route possible to get to class in order to avoid getting approached, only to realize they have someone waiting at all walkways.

I enjoy sitting out in front of Bierce library and the Student Union on a nice sunny day, but having numerous pictures of aborted fetuses makes that break less than pleasant.

I am one of those people who hates telling someone what to do and I understand that is my problem.

However, after three years of being given a Bible or hearing someone yell that I am going to hell, I am more than sick of it.

I mean honestly do these people really find these ambush tactics to work? They might as well hide behind a bush and jump out as crowds of students go past.

As if them offering the Old Testament to someone is suddenly going to make them believe in God. Or a graphic picture of an aborted fetus is magically going to make a women stand-up and let someone else decide what she should be allowed to do with her own body.

For myself and several others that I know, walking to class is usually the time to make a phone call or listen to some music. I’m not exactly sure how interrupting my conversation is helping your point. If you’re trying to make me angry then you have accomplished your goal. You attract more bee’s with honey than you do with vinegar.

The university sits on public property, which means school officials are unable to stop them from harassing the student body, so in the end we can’t do anything about it.