OUR VIEW

“As a newspaper, The Buchtelite has the ability to express the views and beliefs of our organization as a whole, and also individually, every Tuesday and Thursday. Every word printed on the pages of this paper is protected under the First Amendment and we are lucky to have such freedom.”

As a newspaper, The Buchtelite has the ability to express the views and beliefs of our organization as a whole, and also individually, every Tuesday and Thursday.

Every word printed on the pages of this paper is protected under the First Amendment and we are lucky to have such freedom.

You may not always agree with the things printed within these pages, and you may despise some of the views expressed, but the important thing is that we, and everyone else, has the ability to express our ideas, tell stories and fight for causes.

The First Amendment is No. 1 for a reason. Without it, we all would be constantly worried about getting in trouble for saying what we truly mean, or publishing stories that we deem newsworthy.

Throughout this year we have published multiple articles about crime around campus. If we didn’t have our First Amendment right, it would take the University of Akron about three minutes to shut our lights off, and we aren’t even run by UA, we’re an independent student newspaper.

But we do use one of UA’s buildings.

UA could simply kick us out of the Student Union because it didn’t want the bad publicity. But since we have the right of free speech, we are able to run these stories without fear of being kicked out of our establishment.

It would be easy to take the First Amendment for granted because we have never known anything different, but we’re thankful we have it at The Buchtelite because without it, there would be no point in even having a newspaper.