Zips stumble in third round

“The University of Akron golf team finished sixth in a field of 11 teams Tuesday at the 21st Annual Coca-Cola Wofford Invitational in Spartanburg, S.C. The Zips came into the day ranked third but a poor outing caused them to drop three spots in the final standings.”

The University of Akron golf team finished sixth in a field of 11 teams Tuesday at the 21st Annual Coca-Cola Wofford Invitational in Spartanburg, S.C. The Zips came into the day ranked third but a poor outing caused them to drop three spots in the final standings.

Today we did not play well, first year head coach Nick Goetze said. While trying to stay aggressive and put ourselves in position to win, we played a little too aggressive from a course standpoint. As a few of the guys lost momentum and found themselves in tough positions, they played too many high risk shots in an effort to get some strokes back. It cost us severely, and I know it will be a good lesson learned as the Mid-American Conference Championship approaches.

UA started off the tournament strong, shooting a 1-over par 289 during the first 18 holes. They followed it up with a respectable second round score of 297 (+9). The third and final rounds didn’t go as well for the Zips as they struggled shooting a 313 (+24).

One bright spot for the Zips was senior Colin Clemente, who finished fourth overall individually in the tournament. He was the only Zip to improve his mark in the final rounds, moving up from sixth place to start the final day. Clemente posted scores of 73-69-73 (215) on the par-72, 6,877 yard course for the second best finish of his senior year. During the fall season, he finished second at the Xavier Invitational.

Clemente’s play was very good and his finish adds another bright spot to an already successful season for him, Goetze said. He is consistent every week and I expect him to keep playing strong the rest of the year.

Sophomore Jacob Patte finished second for UA and was tied for 24th overall recording a two day total of 226 (70-76-80).

A 229 shot by seniors Matt Considine (77-75-77) and Ryan Gutowski (69-77-83) tied the two for a 30th place finish overall and freshman Drew Davidson rounded out the Zips scorecard finishing tied for 53rd shooting a 239 (77-79-83).

Furman University won the event with an 8 over 872 (293-285-294). The Zips will return to the links April 7-8 for the CU Stevinson Ranch Invitational to be held in Stevinson, Calif.

” #1.1361108:807579708.jpg:Colin Clemente 2.jpg:Senior Colin Clemente finished fourth overall Tuesday.:Jeff Harwell / Zips Sports Photography”