Masakari has something to scream about

“Yes, it’s true. Not everyone likes the same kind of music. In fact, most students at the University of Akron may not find a band like Masakari appealing, but perhaps I’m speaking out of turn. I’m sure there’s more than just a handful of music connoisseurs on campus that enjoy fast-paced, hard-driving beats, but what about the screaming? Do people actually find that appealing? Believe it or not, the answer is yes, they do.”

Yes, it’s true. Not everyone likes the same kind of music.

In fact, most students at the University of Akron may not find a band like Masakari appealing, but perhaps I’m speaking out of turn.

I’m sure there’s more than just a handful of music connoisseurs on campus that enjoy fast-paced, hard-driving beats, but what about the screaming? Do people actually find that appealing? Believe it or not, the answer is yes, they do. But let’s put all music aside and agree that you don’t need picky taste in music to know a good performance when you’ve seen it, and Masakari delivers just that.

Hailing from Cleveland, their fan base also includes, but is not limited to Lakewood, Medina, Columbus, Athens and yes, even Pittsburgh. Ask any of their fans and you’ll be guaranteed a good story. Mine begins at Now That’s Class, a divvy bar in Lakewood. In every corner of the room, folks are nodding their heads or tapping their feet, and I can recall other instances that when push come to shove, Masakari had the mosh pit covered too. They don’t waste their time when it comes to performance.

For every fast beat and double bass breakdown, there was also an equal amount of rhythmic movement from the band members. Now that’s what I call a performance. Who doesn’t love a good show? I mean, when it comes down to staying in and listening to music on your laptop or heading down to your favorite venue to see your favorite local band, who doesn’t prefer the latter? Don’t get me wrong, when it comes time to get those riffs laid out, you better be in sync for that EP, but when you’ve got to pick that guitar up and entertain a crowd then music is only half the battle.

Fortunately, you’ve only got one choice with Masakari. After a few attempts at recording, the band has not been pleased with the outcome. Still, they continue to search for that perfect capture of sound, and with their unique style you really can’t blame them. But until they find the way to record their perfect sound, you’ll have to go see for yourself what I mean. Of course, as a self-proclaimed Masakari fan, I know where I stand, but what does the band have to say for themselves? Guitarist Joe Yanick probably put it best by saying We’re loud, we’re fast and we’re angry. Loud and fast perhaps, but lead singer Tony Yanick put it all into perspectives when he exclaimed Go brownies. and since Masakari was not the only one with a great performance that night, who could really be angry with that?