Students debate issues

“Late Tuesday night Presidents of both the college Democrats and Republicans held their own debate on the student level. Representing Senator Barack Obama was Allison Rochford, a political science student. Speaking on John McCain’s behalf was Jason Ziegler, a construction engineering student.”

Late Tuesday night Presidents of both the college Democrats and Republicans held their own debate on the student level.

Representing Senator Barack Obama was Allison Rochford, a political science student.

Speaking on John McCain’s behalf was Jason Ziegler, a construction engineering student.

Both Rochford and Ziegler spoke about the plans set forth by their candidates, but the issues that dominated the debate were those of taxes and health care.

Ziegler stated that McCain has a new approach to the situation. A consumer based healthcare system was needed. This allows people to decide who they want as their health care provider. As Ziegler said this creates competition which will drive healthcare prices down in the long run. He also referenced McCain offering a $2,500 refundable tax credit for singles and $5,000 credit for families.

Rochford said that Obama will offer employer based coverage or a person can elect to buy their own care. This offers alternative coverage and no one is turned down because of an existing condition.

She pointed out that the average health care plan costs $12,000. Ziegler’s responded that the average price should drop as because there will be more competition among providers.

Both, however, agreed that the United States needs to become more independent in the area of energy independence. They were both in agreement on the issue of nuclear energy.

The key word of the evening: reduce. Reduce energy dependence, reduce taxes and reduce the economic issues the country is now facing.

Focus on the here and now, Ziegler said.

Rochford said the key issues students should be paying attention to is that of health care.

Students don’t have to worry about whether or not they have to take classes, she said, referring to the idea that some students have to take classes in order to receive healthcare coverage.

She said that something that every student should understand about Obama is that he is a middle class man.

Obama truly understand the middle class, she said. He is a middle class American. He has been in the trenches. He worked as a community organizer.

Ziegler stressed the importance of taxes for the student becuase they are going to be the ones paying taxes soon.

We need to educate these 18 year-olds, he said. The decisions that are going to be made over the next four years by this president are going to come down and eventually bite them.

We need to make them aware of the larger picture, he said. Not just the today, the tomorrow or the next week but the years from now.

Both Rochford and Ziegler can agree that those voting need to understand their candidates and propositions for the future of this country.